Version 4 wish - support for wide screens

3DKiwi

One of the things that irks with all forum software these days is the waste of space by stretching things out on my wide monitor. Wide LCD screens are pretty standard these days yet forum software has not grown to support wide screens. Email software, html editors on the other hand have. With email programs for example you have layout options to best utilize your wide screen. With my html editor I can have code in one window and a live preview in the other. All on the one screen at the same time as my screen is wide enough.

What I am suggesting is for version 4 IPS looks at support for wide screens. This then better utilizes screen space and will reduce the amount of scrolling down. What's better is in one part / window the navigation controls / quick reply etc can be fixed almost like using frames.

Here's what I mean where I have 2 windows open and there is plenty of space for the full reply editor. I'm sure IPS could come up with something really slick that would greatly improve the workflow of working with forums.

Anyone else think that this is a good idea? Yes I have seen some of the custom skins with navigation controls down the side. That's a start but I'm talking about replying and other stuff in its own section on one side.

3DKiwi

My resolution is 1680x1050 (not the widest possible, certainly, but pretty wide none-the-less) and I haven't noticed any problems myself. Are you just suggesting to try to use fit more horizontally, rather than vertically, basically (obviously the editor does not open to the side of the topic content, but rather below it or in a separate page)?

Hi Brandon. You have the same size screen as I do. There isn't really a problem but I don't think the way things are with IPB and other forums is the wide screen isn't being best utilized.

So yes I am suggesting that the editor open up in a side window and that navigation controls be permanently visible. I shouldn't have to scroll up or press a page up button to find the navigation links.

Nigel

Archived