Suggestion: Forums - Minimum posts to start a new topic

Clickfinity

I'd like to suggest a forum setting: Minimum posts to start a new topic

My current personal application for this is a Classifieds forum where members can only start new sale topics once they've reached a certain number of posts. This stops traders invading the board trying to market to our membership.

However, the only option on IPB at the moment is to set a minimum post limit for replies - this stops everyone below that level from participating.

Also, if you want to limit new topic starting at the moment you need to use two usergroups with / without start topic privs. and a group promotion setting. Not ideal.

Just thought I'd suggest it in case it was something that was a) easy to add - and b) useful to other board owners.

Cheers,
Shaun

• 1 year later...

Well, that's how it has to be done currently. It's up to IPS to add it to the stock software, but look at the multi settings. That setting is currently in the groups. If you put it outside the groups also, which one take priority?

In all honesty, it's not a whole lot of work. It's only a matter of copying a group, and changing a couple settings.

It's only a matter of copying a group, and changing a couple settings.

It's not, because if I do this, then I have other groups that will be able to do things they shouldn't be able to. Trust me, your option for me, isn't an option, hence this topic in the feedback forum. It may work well for small sites with the default groups setup, but not larger sites with many different groups.

I don't see that side effect. You aren't giving anyone addition permissions.

The scale of your number of groups has NO effect. This new group will only house new members with less than 5 posts. If users have done something else to get them promoted into a different group, this change won't effect them as they aren't in the default member group anymore. You aren't giving out extra permissions anywhere; you are restricting permissions.

All this does is add an extra step between registration and the member group without the start topic restriction. It has NO effect on any users outside those 2 groups and doesn't give users currently in the member group any additional permissions.

Archived