Conversion Scripts

Ken S.

Hello,

I'm curious to know if you guys have been working on improving the functionality of the converter scripts.

We've been planning a large move from vBulletin to IPB for a couple of months now.
We have a forum with 90,000 members, 110,000 topics and 1.44 million posts.

Currently it takes nearly 4 days to convert using moderate hardware.
It would be an absolute wonderful and useful feature if you were to allow an initial bulk import which can be done before the actual sites are moved over. Then once we're all setup and ready to go, we can synchronize the new posts, threads and members, etc that have been added since the bulk import.

Please let me know if you guys are intending to do anything like this, or if you've been working on the performance of the conversion scripts.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

I am hoping to redo the converter scripts a little at some point, including doing a CLI version which would cut out a lot of the overhead which is what causes problems (having to refresh the page, perform an init each time doing so, etc.) but I do not have a timeline at the moment.

• 5 months later...

I haven't forgotten about it.

It's worth noting the converters do work fine and we do offer a conversion service if you'd prefer us to do all the heavy lifting for you.
No matter what I do, if you have millions of posts, it's going to take a little while to convert ;)

Archived