Stopping bots from gobbling up too much bandwidth

Hello,

My forum is not busy and don't have too many videos uploaded either, but these bots are using up a huge amount of my forum bandwidth. The monthly average bandwidth usage of my forum is in the vicinity of 5gb. I think this is too much for a slow forum like mine. I do have a robot text uploaded to root directory, but what other measures can I take to stop these bots from using so much of bandwidth? Any suggestions to reduce bandwidth wastage will be appreciated.

Thank you. Will do that :) Is that all is there to stop the bots? Or are there more ways to stop them?

That will stop google bots, you can always force bots to use lite theme without any graphics. I personally wouldn't bother 5GB of traffic is nothing, if you have such low traffic limit consider switching the web hosting provider.

No, the limit is much higher than 5gb. What I was wondering about whether or not 5gb for a slow site such as mine was too much. Anyways, I have set the crawling speed for google bots to a lower rate. Hopefully this will reduce the bandwidth wastage a bit.

Archived