Personal conversation notification?

Luke

I have a question about the new notification system. By default it seems you are notified by personal conversation when someone sends you a personal conversation. Does this mean that a new personal conversation is created to notify me of the personal conversation? Or am I completely misunderstanding what a "Personal Conversation" notification is? And if it does make a new personal conversation, wouldn't I get a notification of the notification? Seems to me like in most cases being notified by personal conversation is a bit useless, especially when all the inline notifications are saved anyway.

Also with the inline notifications, is there a way to automatically delete a notification after I've acknowledged it? Or at least do so after X amount of hours? A lot of times after I'm notified, I'm pretty much good. I don't really need to see it again, especially after 24 hours. I'm just too lazy to go in there and clean out all the old notifications. And I know most people won't do this anyway... So it would be nice, from an admin perspective, for this to happen automatically by default.

Also being notified about someone updating their status is a bit annoying to be a default option. Please consider turning this off by default.

And with the forum post notifications, does this only happen if I'm watching a topic? Or is this completely different?

I have a question about the new notification system. By default it seems you are notified by personal conversation when someone sends you a personal conversation. Does this mean that a new personal conversation is created to notify me of the personal conversation? Or am I completely misunderstanding what a "Personal Conversation" notification is? And if it does make a new personal conversation, wouldn't I get a notification of the notification? Seems to me like in most cases being notified by personal conversation is a bit useless, especially when all the inline notifications are saved anyway.

Also with the inline notifications, is there a way to automatically delete a notification after I've acknowledged it? Or at least do so after X amount of hours? A lot of times after I'm notified, I'm pretty much good. I don't really need to see it again, especially after 24 hours. I'm just too lazy to go in there and clean out all the old notifications. And I know most people won't do this anyway... So it would be nice, from an admin perspective, for this to happen automatically by default.

Also being notified about someone updating their status is a bit annoying to be a default option. Please consider turning this off by default.

And with the forum post notifications, does this only happen if I'm watching a topic? Or is this completely different?

It's not possible to get a personal conversation notification of a new personal conversation. If you go look at the options in your usercp, that option is even grayed out.

The "popup" that used to represent a new personal conversation IS the inline notification. When you see that popup, it's not a pm, it's an inline notification (you typically receive an inline notification of a new pm, however, so don't confuse the two).

Oh ok. Well as far as defaults go, I don't think any of them should be personal conversations...

Also I have this question: Are the post notifications separate from the "watch this topic" thing? If so, why have both?

Archived