Global Editing Settings?

Invisiοnist

So while setting up my boards *which Im still doing* I notice alot of things don't have "global" settings... at least that I'm aware of.. if there is please let me know.. but what I mean by global settings is turning something on or off on all forums. For example.. the quick reply option.. I have to go through each and every forum just to turn that setting on. I have like 30 forum areas.. maybe more lol. It's tedious work. Some with user groups. If i wanted to turn something on or off globally it would be a really nice option to have.

Erm unless its already possible, if so let me know please xD

It's done individually for a reason; to make it a category specific. But normally, when creating a new category, it's checked by default. And I know how tedious it can get. I have about 200 categories on my forum, and about 1,500 categories on my soon to be announced new site in IP.Content. It's going to have a lot more though! :lol:

I agree individually is just necessary however, maybe have the check box clicked and then a "global setting" option to set certain things for all areas. For those of us with 100's of categories lol. The boards are amazing, I seriously love it way more than vB, the flexibility is just awesome, it's just very tedious as well. :ermm:

btw this is sorta off topic but where is the option to reset all reputation :ph34r:

So while setting up my boards *which Im still doing* I notice alot of things don't have "global" settings... at least that I'm aware of.. if there is please let me know.. but what I mean by global settings is turning something on or off on all forums. For example.. the quick reply option.. I have to go through each and every forum just to turn that setting on. I have like 30 forum areas.. maybe more lol. It's tedious work. Some with user groups. If i wanted to turn something on or off globally it would be a really nice option to have.

Erm unless its already possible, if so let me know please xD

I am keen for this option as I am going to be setting up a new forum soon and don't want to have to do it to my 50+ catorgies and all the user groups again.. so please is there any easier way?

We do that in a few places, but that tends to lead to more confusion, when a user finds one option but not the other and doesn't realize that they are conflicting.

Ah, that is probably true, what if there is just one section for only enabling things globally. So they can view the list of things globally enabled and disable it when needed then it would be less confusion.

We do that in a few places, but that tends to lead to more confusion, when a user finds one option but not the other and doesn't realize that they are conflicting.

That's true. >_<

I don't even see why people wouldn't want the option to fast reply... :lol:

It could easily be done with an if statement as such, if they were to implement it (example below):

if ($this->settings['global_fast_reply_enable']) { $use_global_fast_reply_method === true; //fast reply code here } else { $use_global_fast_reply_mothod === false; //per-forum & per-category code here }

I think for something like forums and member groups, having a 'template' that could be edited would be nice, then as new forums or member groups are created, it would load those settings as the default and then the admin makes any specific changes before saving it. Wouldn't help for pre-existing forums/groups, but if someone doesn't want a certain setting on (by default) then they don't have to uncheck it each time.

I think for something like forums and member groups, having a 'template' that could be edited would be nice, then as new forums or member groups are created, it would load those settings as the default and then the admin makes any specific changes before saving it. Wouldn't help for pre-existing forums/groups, but if someone doesn't want a certain setting on (by default) then they don't have to uncheck it each time.

I so agree.. It really does get tiring always readding the same things over and over again. Even if it were possible to mimic a permission for a forum/group and then edit it later so that it has slightly different settings than the original would be really nice...

Archived