More configurable "Recent Topics" sidebar block

Wolfie

Okay I know that by editing a file I could change the number of topics to display for the "recent topics" block, but really, should it be necessary to edit the file?

Also, would be nice to be able to select which forums it draws the topics from without modifying the "View New Posts" block setting. Would like to be able to decide how it's shown (topic names only, date/time optional, author optional, etc)

More or less a new hook to do the same thing but a bit more admin friendly.

Wolfie,

The main problem is that IPS chose to move the code for the Recent Topics sidebar hook into class_forums for no reason I can determine (the comment above it says "so we can avoid updating global hooks" - clearly forgetting that customers would probably prefer that to file edits). Personally to make my "selectable forums" Recent Topics sidebar hook I took the approach of simply copying that code out into a hook file and applying my tweaks there. I do agree that the out of the box one sucks a tad though.

Also, would be nice to be able to select which forums it draws the topics from without modifying the "View New Posts" block setting. Would like to be able to decide how it's shown (topic names only, date/time optional, author optional, etc)

More or less a new hook to do the same thing but a bit more admin friendly.

I'll second this. It would also be pretty cool to display recent 5 star topics, or have a block for the most bookmarked topics.

Another reason to add a nice bookmarks/favorite system.

Archived