Download: iArcade System 1.0.0 Final

Andy Rixon

Also, For those of you using v3arcade, I have learned that they require all members to generate a license key tied to their domain before downloading their free arcade mod.

Minor clarification... v3 Arcade is available to download either from v3Arcade.com or from vBulletin.org (vB.org). None of the code is encoded, everything is viewable source. If we were to encode any part of it then we would not be allowed to post it at vB.org as everything posted there must be viewable. The reasons we have a 'free license' system is that at our support site the licensing is tied into our support ticket system, along with being able to download the additional sample games, and it helps us to get a feel for how many people are using the add-on.

In regards to it be hacked/cracked/re-distributed.... we give it our best shot but we still find it on the various 'warez' sites even though everybody is free to download a copy at no cost from the official support site. It makes absolutely no sense and I question who would be dumb enough to download a copy from a warez site when they can just as easily download a real copy. :huh:
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clear the air: here is what I have setup.
http://screencast.com/t/NmUzYmY5

EDIT: just saw kw802's post. Must have written it while I was recording.
I think, as you can see from the video, that we are both trying to achieve the same goal.
It would enable myself and Andy to get a feel for who is using the arcade and how they are using it,
as well as provide premium services.

Nothing is intended to lock down the mod.

I'm also against the encoding. Piracy is always going to be a problem. I personally won't use an encoded piece of software (even if in part), nor would I recommend it to anyone. Encoding your software only hurts potential legit business, and those who would pirate your software wouldn't likely purchase it in the first place. Finally, it's not like resources (i.e., support) will be wasted on those who pirated your software. Encoding only a single file doesn't make sense either, anyone with a little PHP knowledge and some time could circumvent the file.

IPB isn't encoded. What makes yours special? :)

I'm also against the encoding. Piracy is always going to be a problem. I personally won't use an encoded piece of software (even if in part), nor would I recommend it to anyone. Encoding your software only hurts potential legit business, and those who would pirate your software wouldn't likely purchase it in the first place. Finally, it's not like resources (i.e., support) will be wasted on those who pirated your software. Encoding only a single file doesn't make sense either, anyone with a little PHP knowledge and some time could circumvent the file.

IPB isn't encoded. What makes yours special? :)

That's what I've been wondering.

I'm rather new to all of this, but can't wait for the iArcade ad-on. Really miss it from previous versions, and can't wait to offer it to the members of my community. Just wanted to say, in advance, THANK YOU!!! :thumbsup:

I'll be watching this thread for the release of the public beta.

I don't see any advantages to encoding this really. It defeats the purpose of it being a free, open application. I see 5 problems, 0 advantages:

1) Some users cannot use ioncube on their servers. This means you're missing out on a huge market share of users.

2) Some users who refuse to use encoded scripts will want your head, because they want this app. They'll probably pay someone to crack it.

3) It'll make the warez community even more determined to crack this, possibly just by unencoding the file, or even recoding the admin area to bypass.

4) You won't be able to upload it to IPS Resources if you do this license-key crap because there is no way to distribute them.

5) Your idea for license-per-server IP won't work. If you move server, you're stuffed.

Seriously, don't encode, and just accept that warez happens. You're never going to be able to stop it.

I agree fully and mentioned some of those my self.
Before I found iarcade I was thinking about switching to mybb and dropped that idea do to finding iarcade. How ever I have once again thought about going with mybb.

Ok. Based on the everyone-against-me thoughts ive been getting, there will be no encoded files.

Registration will be highly encouraged, however.

Its an effing sad world we live in , i feel for you guys, you have both worked your butts off for this and i for one can understand your feelings to wanting to protect your work, but it really cant be done, it seems to me the more you try to protect something the more crackers want to break it, (they really should get out more and play with a football or something)
I think the best way to go with this is have some official support site and only members who can provide a download serial number gets support, seems to work ok for most although like most things i guess, it wont be fool proof. Its just a sad fact of life on the web if you're a developer and there doesn't seem to be anything anybody can do. :unsure:

I agree fully and mentioned some of those my self.

Before I found iarcade I was thinking about switching to mybb and dropped that idea do to finding iarcade. How ever I have once again thought about going with mybb.

Amy, as I said above, there will be no encoding. The community has clearly spoken.

Its an effing sad world we live in , i feel for you guys, you have both worked your butts off for this and i for one can understand your feelings to wanting to protect your work, but it really cant be done, it seems to me the more you try to protect something the more crackers want to break it, (they really should get out more and play with a football or something)

I think the best way to go with this is have some official support site and only members who can provide a download serial number gets support, seems to work ok for most although like most things i guess, it wont be fool proof. Its just a sad fact of life on the web if you're a developer and there doesn't seem to be anything anybody can do. :unsure:

Support for the time being will continue to be via the IPS site only. The small efforts I have attempted to take are clearly not supported by our user base.

Registering your installation is now part of the signup process.

Sadly you won't be able to stop IPBSource - They have an IPS License. They Use there board donations to purchase mods. It sucks I have repeatedly reported them. They can't be touched sadly

Gee that is very sad, hate sites like that. Like that modder I do not download mods from do to knowing her steals from other modders. Although I think some one mentioned he is no longer offering his mods on this site.

Warez is so four years ago. If you really love and enjoy something; then pay for it and support those who created it. (This being IP.B.)

I'm glad to see that this isn't being encoded, however. I have enough problems with my host at times that I don't think I would want to go through the trouble of fiddling around with Ioncube again. I do like the "register for support" idea, though. It keeps the legit people...well...legit. :)

I'd like to thank both of you for your hard work on this project, as well as all of the testers that have given their feedback and bug submissions. It's because of all of you that such a great mod is being created.

E-Love for Collin and Andy. <3

Warez is so four years ago. If you really love and enjoy something; then pay for it and support those who created it. (This being IP.B.)

I'm glad to see that this isn't being encoded, however. I have enough problems with my host at times that I don't think I would want to go through the trouble of fiddling around with Ioncube again. I do like the "register for support" idea, though. It keeps the legit people...well...legit. :)

I'd like to thank both of you for your hard work on this project, as well as all of the testers that have given their feedback and bug submissions. It's because of all of you that such a great mod is being created.

E-Love for Collin and Andy. <3

Thanks for the praise.

Ive just wrapped up some ACP changes including the long "coming soon" stats in the ACP, as well as a spot for your "registration key" to be entered. Trying to think of a perk to offer to anyone who registers.

Sounds great. Registration is a supremely small thing to ask for such a super mod. Charging for mod or game install is only right. Soon as I get some extra coins I plan on donating. I am so appreciative of the fact that you two took it upon yourselves to do something for the community. Maybe the donation thing will catch on among Admins as we spread the word.

Looking forward to the release. Wouldn't you know that when it comes out on the 1st, I have to go for an overnighter on the 2nd for some tests at the hospital. Bummer! :lol:

Well thats me out then lads, I run a Military Forum, and I am not allowed to install any programs, with encoded software or ring backs as they see it as a security risk, secondly their server does not have Ioncube installed, and I will not be allowed to install any scripts on my computer to allow the arcade to run, again a further security risk. All data to and from my computer is heavily encrypted.

So that means I cannot install the Arcade because of their rules, I wish this had been mentioned a while back, at least then I would not have got our lads hopes up saying the new Arcade will be out soon. The Arcade on my forum was used by them for recreational purposes when they came in from the field in Afghanistan so it helped them to relax.

Thanks anyway :(

Archived