Changing Servers -> Moving Database

Hello, I am looking to change hosts from the one I am currently on however I would like to move my database to the other host and before I do it I would just like to make sure I have a few things correct. So I've exported my Database onto my computer (everything seems to be there) so would I just import that using myPHPadmin on a blank database then install the forums to using that database and keep all my things from old forums? >_<

[quote name='Adam C' date='25 November 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1259171573' post='1882392']
Hello, I am looking to change hosts from the one I am currently on however I would like to move my database to the other host and before I do it I would just like to make sure I have a few things correct. So I've exported my Database onto my computer (everything seems to be there) so would I just import that using myPHPadmin on a blank database then install the forums to using that database and keep all my things from old forums? >_<

This will work if you have small database, with databases bigger than 200MB you should import your database from shell.

[quote name='Adam C' date='26 November 2009 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1259237431' post='1882586']
I see, also if my old Forums were on a Windows host is it possible to move the database to a Linux host or will I have to remain with Windows?

You can move database to linux, on all platforms mysql is same.

I go to Import my Database and it loads for a while then suddenly this error comes up;

Error

SQL query:

/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `core_sys_lang_words` DISABLE KEYS */;

MySQL said:
#2006 - MySQL server has gone away

and it stops importing my Database and leaves me with half a database <_< I am importing the Database BEFORE installing the Forums is that the correct way to do so?

Archived