"Undo" feature

Wolfie

Since posts/topics have a history to them (like if you delete a post from a topic, when you view the history, it tells you where it came from), it'd be nice to be able to undo the changes.

If it's a post that's been deleted, then be able to undelete it (ie, return it to the original topic). If it's been moved, split, merged, etc, anything that has a trail to it, be able to click a small button to under that specific item. That way if a post was deleted by mistake and ends up in the trashcan, then instead of moving it back to the right forum and then merging it back with the topic, you can just undo it and it'll be remerged with the topic.

[quote name='DawPi' date='21 August 2009 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1250858886' post='1847236']
I can imagine undo posts deletes, moves etc. but not merge, split. :)

Merge and split should be just as easy, so long as you are talking about topic/post and not post/post. If you merge two posts together then I can't imagine being able to undo that without keeping individual copies of the posts somewhere. But if you merge a post into a topic, then it should be just as easy to yank it back out and vise-versa.

When you delete a post or topic, if you aren't using the trash can, we do not keep a record of the original post or topic content, so this is not possible. This suggestion has been made in the past, and honestly this is something that would be both challenging to implement in a stable fashion, but also in a resource efficient manner.

Even just to undelete a post/topic? I mean if the trashcan isn't in use then I know that the delete feature is a one-way option. I use the trash can option, but if a post/topic is deleted by mistake, then it's a hassle to move it back and stuff.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='21 August 2009 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1250874570' post='1847339']
Even just to undelete a post/topic?

See his comment on the trash can. If the post or topic were not still in the trash can or the trash can were not enabled [and I don't know about other sites, but ours prunes the trash can regularly], such a feature would break.

I was thinking that when viewing a 'topic' in the trashcan, there could be an extra option (per topic not multi-topic) where you could restore/undelete the 'topic'. If it were a post then it'd be integrated back into the topic it came from otherwise it'd only restore the forum it came from. The 'undo' feature was just an extension of this, as it would make it easier to undo a mistake. But I'm more concern with just undoing a topic/post deletion (provided of course that the trashcan option is in use).

Archived