Web Browser Compatibility w/ IPB

Rheddy

Something has been bothering me about IPB and I'm wondering why certain web browsers "view" or "read" forums powered by IPB differently.

What I'm referring to is the fact that, at least in my testing of IPB in various browsers, that Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox displays IPB software with rounded borders and corners while Internet Explorer and Opera displays IPB with sharp or 'square' corners. It's kind of strange that the IPB software cannot tell the difference between the various web browsers.

Is there a reason for this because it's somewhat confusing and strange that IPB is being read different among each web browser.

[quote name='martin-al' date='27 July 2009 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1248655835' post='1833754']
To create the rounded corners, IPB uses -moz-border-radius, witch is only supported by some browsers, such as Firefox, Safari, Chrome. 

I don't blame IPS for using -moz-border, but I blame all the browsers not supporting it.. :)  

I agree with that, some browsers are incompetent when it comes to css or the 'new' things in internet technology. The best thing you can do if it is really a problem is tell your members that your forum looks better in firefox, chrome, and safari or replace the h2( thats what it is called in zetaboards, correct me if I am wrong with the name) with an image that looks like it.

Off-topic:

[quote name='martin-al' date='27 July 2009 - 02:50 AM' timestamp='1248655835' post='1833754']
To create the rounded corners, IPB uses -moz-border-radius, witch is only supported by some browsers, such as Firefox, Safari, Chrome. 

I don't blame IPS for using -moz-border, but I blame all the browsers not supporting it.. :)  

Safari and Chrome (and every other browser that use Webkit) use -webkit-border-* ;)

[quote name='Link2999' date='27 July 2009 - 04:18 AM' timestamp='1248664701' post='1833798']
HTML5 in short.

Actually, it's CSS3... :)

[quote name='Zach.' date='31 July 2009 - 03:36 AM' timestamp='1249007810' post='1835846']
thats already out :o

Indeed, but not every browser has implemented all of the specifications yet. Hence why it works on some browsers but not others :)

[quote name='Zach.' date='31 July 2009 - 03:36 AM' timestamp='1249007810' post='1835846']
thats already out :o

[quote name='Μark' date='31 July 2009 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1249030083' post='1835936']
Indeed, but not every browser has implemented all of the specifications yet. Hence why it works on some browsers but not others :)

No, neither CSS3 or HTML5 are finalised standards. That said, as Mark said, a number of browsers have implemented parts of both (some have implemented nothing), as the standards are being developed in public. The vendors tend to pick and choose what interests them, or what suits their company's goals.

Also, a number of changes have been made to both standards based on what browser vendors have chosen to implement outside of the standards, and then submitted to the W3C.

Archived