keyword below 4 characters

acnethai

Why I type below 4 characters at search field and it show this

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Can I set to search the word below 4 character in the coming version?

As far as i know, this is a MySQL Database Issue.
MySQL has defaulted the minimum Searchword length in FullText Search to 4 chars for all versions.

You can change this, if you have got access to your mysql configuration file.

Look at this article and select the version of your MySQL Server on the left side:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html

Google search is a great alternative, however you won't be able to search private forums, etc.

You have to change MySQL limits in the config file to allow searching less than 4 char words. I agree that Sphinx is the best solution if you want searches of words less than 4 chars, though you'd need a dedicated server.

[quote name='bfarber' date='26 May 2009 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1243351969' post='1805326']
Google search is a great alternative, however you won't be able to search private forums, etc.

You have to change MySQL limits in the config file to allow searching less than 4 char words. I agree that Sphinx is the best solution if you want searches of words less than 4 chars, though you'd need a dedicated server.

it would be nice if the search in the header had a drop down to select alternate search engines. Kind of like in Firefox where you can customize the search box by clicking a dropdown.

That would make up for the shortcomings of the IPB search system.

Plus IPS could make it customizable in the ACP so that we could add other search engines to the dropdown that we want.

Archived