Suggestion for Announcements

Guest ildera

It would be nice if there was a "Preview Announcement" option, similar to a "Preview Post".

(Yes, I know you can post them without being enabled. However,) It is unnecessarily tedious to have to go back and forth between viewing the announcement and making updates. Right now the "work around" solution would be to actually use a topic or post reply window until I'm satisfied with the result, then cut and paste into an announcement.

I believe this has been suggested before, but I'd like to add that having folders to organize announcements would be great too.

Why should I have to lock my announcements? The point to announcements to me is to not have replies on them but get information out there. If I want replies on something I use my Staff blog or a topic.

I don't mind having options but "locking" it would defeat the purpose of an announcement to me and not only that if you "lock" something that has a poll on it it would lock the poll so that also defeats the purpose of having polls on announcements if you don't want replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to see the option to have the Announcement displayed at the top of the "View New Posts" index. Many people just click on the View New Posts page instead of viewing actual boards and thus do not see announcements.

• 2 weeks later...

The last thing I want is my announcements being turned into global topics.

+1 to the preview button, though. I'd never use it, but I can see where some people would.

The last thing I want is my announcements being turned into global topics.

+1 to the preview button, though. I'd never use it, but I can see where some people would.

It'd be like a SUPER STICKY. (you can lock it if you don't want people replying, but I'm sure many people would prefer replies)

LOL.... if you get that option figured out, please let me know.

Yea, VB has it (or maybe its a modification for VB) but, it's a useful feature.

It'd be like a SUPER STICKY. (you can lock it if you don't want people replying, but I'm sure many people would prefer replies)

That's why I have a separate "Announcements" forum for topics like that. The actual announcements are just to get information out there, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have a problem with super stickies being implemented as extra, but leave my announcements alone. :P

If moderators and/or admins are making an announcement, chances are they're good at posting without the help of a preview. Because they're a moderator or admin. :flowers:

Being good at posting and making sure it looks right before posting are two different things. I could be the most amazing poster in the world but I will still make mistakes.

It would be nice if there was a "Preview Announcement" option, similar to a "Preview Post".

+1 for a preview button on announcements.

Being good at posting and making sure it looks right before posting are two different things. I could be the most amazing poster in the world but I will still make mistakes.

True. We all make mistakes :)

I like to have a look to see how it has turned out, as sometimes it can insert extra blank lines or it does not look "quite right" . A preview button is always good to have (rather than having a separate window / tab open to have a look each time) :)

Yea, VB has it (or maybe its a modification for VB) but, it's a useful feature.

I think you misread what I was replying to.

No one has yet figured out how to FORCE people to use the Search feature, short of threatening them with bodily harm. And for some morons, even that wouldn't do any good. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Supplemental suggestion!

Currently, if I'm reading an Announcement and I want to edit it, I have to:

1. leave the announcement I want to edit, and go into Control Panel,
2. click on Manage Announcement, and then
3. look through the list of Announcement to find it AGAIN and
4. edit it :blink:

It would be nice to have an EDIT button right on any Announcement page, don't you think? :huh:

Archived