Public groups

Guest blackfalcon

Does ipb seroiusly not have publicly joinable groups...
We are looking to make clans for a game, and we want to have forums for the clans, but you need to be in the clan to view the forum. Now, to do this we need public groups, that have a group leader who manages group join requests. Is there a way to do this.

If not, this is a urgent suggestion. Even phpbb2 has this.

By Publically joinable groups, are you on about usergroups? (can have permissions applied to them) or, as vB call them "Social Groups" (basically a collection of people)

Pretty sure he's talking about the social groups feature vB has. I honestly would use this feature in IPB as you could in some instances replace the custom fields in user profiles with the groups feature.

A popular forum for forum admins uses this feature to allow members to join groups for there particular forum software and you can be members of many groups. If this was a drop down field in IPB's custom profile fields your kinda sol and only chose one option.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not talking about social groups.

I am talking about public groups that have access to different forums that members can choose to join and you can appoint a leader(s) who manage applications etc... not social groups.

Like members and administrators are groups, I would like to beable to make a group and let members beable to join themselves, or make them moderated and appoint leaders, and be able to have forum permission settings like members or administrators etc...

This is fairly tricky because of the security implications that it has... Plus if members were able to create groups, then it would be hard to keep track of, and the groups list would be ungodly longer than it needs to be.. the admin only needs to know about them when they have to.

Perhaps "Social Groups" would be the best way to go, which would have a separate section to itself. Each "Social Group" could have "Group Leader" and "Permission Mask" options. The "Group Leader" would be able to delegate how members can join this group, add/remove them manually, etc... "Permission Mask" could supplement their Group's permission mask to give special privileges to forums. Social Groups could be also used when assigning forum moderators (and Group Leaders can delegate who of the group takes on these moderator permissions).

• 6 months later...

Wasn't it in a recent topic that they said they didn't want to do public groups just yet, as in their opinion they didn't think it was a worthy feature or something. I can't remember the details, someone could probably find the topic though.

Wasn't it in a recent topic that they said they didn't want to do public groups just yet, as in their opinion they didn't think it was a worthy feature or something. I can't remember the details, someone could probably find the topic though.

Matt condemned the way that vB implemented social groups for their lack of value or use a while ago, and said if IPB ever implemented it it would be done differently.

Does IPB allow members to join/request a user group? If it does they you can set this up and use permission masks for each group to set visible forums.

Archived