Saving bandwith

Guest alienshe

I`l move your topic to "Server Management, Resources, Optimization" :)

Depends whether you mean bandwidth or server resources :unsure:

View new posts (along with a search) will use a bit of cpu time but I doubt that would be much unless your board is really massive.

Embedding video`s should not really push it up, as you are really only linking to them elsewhere (same as posting an image from photobucket / imageshack etc, you are not really using your bandwidth)

You can cut down a bit by reducing the amount of attachment space and size etc as a good start if you allow large attachments this can eat bandwidth. Mods such as arcade can use a lot if they are large games etc too (as these will be loaded each time they are played)

Hope that`s a bit of a start anyway :)

1) Ensure relative urls are used instead of full urls for images (they are by default, unless you enter an Image URL in under general configuration)
2) Ensure your CSS files are cached (and not inline)
3) Ensure you don't have the "No-cache" headers enabled under CPU Savings

1) Ensure relative urls are used instead of full urls for images (they are by default, unless you enter an Image URL in under general configuration)

Im sorry i dont really understand any of this. :unsure: Could you help explain it?

I`l move your topic to [i]"Server Management, Resources, Optimization"[/i] :)

Depends whether you mean bandwidth or server resources :unsure:

View new posts (along with a search) will use a bit of cpu time but I doubt that would be much unless your board is really massive.

Embedding video`s should not really push it up, as you are really only linking to them elsewhere (same as posting an image from photobucket / imageshack etc, you are not really using your bandwidth)

You can cut down a bit by reducing the amount of attachment space and size etc as a good start if you allow large attachments this can eat bandwidth. Mods such as arcade can use a lot if they are large games etc too (as these will be loaded each time they are played)

Hope that`s a bit of a start anyway :)

Thanks Andy. I mean bandwith - i keep getting emails from Invision saying my bandwith has reached 80% of its bandwidth limit. I dont really understand why because I don't get that much traffic - perhaps 50 members online per day - but never more than 20 on at one time. And i have very little mods on my forum, definitely not games or arcade.

Do you have attachments on your board ?

If you have a lot , perhaps you could consider not letting guests view them , that may help :unsure:

Yes, block "downloads" permissions for each forum in the Guest permission mask to prevent images from displaying. If you have a Gallery that you allow guests to access consider blocking Guest access to Gallery too.

1) - Make sure under General Configuration in the ACP that no "Image URL" is set (none is by default
2) - Go to each skin under Look & Feel, click the button, click Edit Settings, and make sure the radio button to cache the CSS file to disk is set to Yes
3) - Tools & Settings -> CPU Saving and Optimization, look for the setting

Archived