A question about the future

Guest idanz

Hi,

Do you think (IPS staff) about moving the IP.Board from PHP to .NET?

I think it's going to be a smart decision, specially now when C# and .NET becomes popular among companies and people.

Thanks, Idan.

Im no IPS Stuff but I think my opinion is nearly the same.

There are some disadvantage of .net and C#:

• IPB would completely have to be rewritten
  • The main-stream servers are nearly all running PHP but nealy no main-stream server is running the .net Framework or Mono or an other .net implementation
  • PHP is more famous, that means more modders and a bigger coding cummunity
Although im coding more PHP than C# i personally love C# and .net much more and would like to see IPB 3.0 to be an .net application. But it's quite unrealistic.

Hi,

Do you think (IPS staff) about moving the IP.Board from PHP to .NET?

I think it's going to be a smart decision, specially now when C# and .NET becomes popular among companies and people.

Thanks, Idan.

That would be one heck of an overhaul. You'd probably have better luck on adoption by porting it to Java, but that would be an even bigger chore.

Idan, your opinion is good, but not so much. The problem is in the way. Other people can't move their servers from Linux to "Windows" for running on their forum .Net.

Think about it.

ASP is also available for Linux. The XSP-Webserver, which is part of the Mono project, supports .net 2.0, excluding Webparts.

We have no plans to port our software to .Net. There realistically is no reason to do so. PHP is widely available on nearly all servers, is an open programming language, all of our developers are familiar with PHP (while almost none of us are proficient in .Net), and the rewrite would be a drastically prohibitive one, with no gain for it.

Basically, spend 1-2 years rewriting all of our code for no real reason, other to say that it's in another programming language?

Php5 Is better.:D

They would not rewrite it for one person also. :P

I remembered the guy who wanted IPS to rewrite IPB in ASP for himself :lol:

I don't want them to rewrite it only for me.
I recommend them to go ahead with the technology order to make more customers.
A lot of development companies moving to .NET these years, I think it's going to be a smart decision for IPS too.

Archived