Secondary Group - Root Admin

Guest Jason H

Because the functionality of this is rather confusing.. Many people move themselves out of the Root Admin group, or set themselves as a secondary Root Admin, not realizing that they don't have TRUE root admin privs as a secondary group..

Possible to disable being able to select the "Root" admin group as a secondary group?

Seems to cause more problems than it's worth. Only advantage to it is if a user doesn't have a standard admin group, and wants someone to have standard admin privs. Seems that configuration would be extremely rare.. More rare than the number of people who move themselves out of the root admin group, or think a secondary group of Root Admin is the same as Primary..

Coupling onto the above.. What about including a warning if you are attempting to move the only member out of the root admin group? Maybe a warning when moving ANYONE out of the root admin group? Just a simple "If you move everyone out of the root admin group.. You can't move anyone back into it through IPB.. Are you SURE you want to do this?"

The first one.. I can see how people do that because it's not clear that a secondary root admin doesn't have the same privs as a primary root admin.. The second.. That one's generally a newbie problem.. When someone's first learning the software and how to use it.. Pretty common for this to happen simply because they don't know the difference between "Root Admin" and "Admin" yet.

Well for me, knowing that setting the root admin group as secondary would be a regular admin and not real root, I only have one Admin group anyway. When I bring on a new admin for any reason I set them as secondary first so they can get a feel for things first without being swamped by the members. With a site like mine, being swamped is a whole lot worse than other places because 99% of the community is kids.

I do like the idea of having a warning if you try to move the only user out of the root admin group. Instead of a warning, it shouldn't let you move the only root admin user out of the group.

I do like the idea of having a warning if you try to move the only user out of the root admin group. Instead of a warning, it shouldn't let you move the only root admin user out of the group.

I thought that, but what if you're the only root admin and you're changing the Root Admin group for some reason? You want the new Root Admin group to be group #7.. you would move yourself into group 7 then edit the conf_global.php..

Probably would never happen, but.. Besides.. with a warning, you're not restricting it, and if someone still does it you can laugh at them.

i never understood why you can be in two groups at the same time even though they're the same group?! i think that if your in one group e.g. root admin in your primary group then that option should be excluded from the secondary group options. Solves this issue too. i still say go with a warning if someone tries to move outside the root admin group tho.

Archived