IP.Board SEO/FURL

Guest Tarun

I've been wondering when we may see this built in to IPB as a standard or option.

Since this isn't in IPB as of yet, can anyone recommend a SEO/FURL mod to apply to IPB? It'd be nice if it's free because I prefer to donate to those who take the time to write their mods, rather than those who sell them at outrageous prices for profit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck finding a worthwhile SEO module then. I've never heard anything bad about CommunitySEO. In fact, bfarber even posted a case study on their website and on IPS Beyond with a good review. ;)

http://communityseo.com/forums/bfarbercom-...tudy-t1205.html
http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=140636
http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=142734

The biggest problem I have with their mod is having to make all those modifications myself. I really hate making changes to my forum... I make as few as possible, and only when I absolutely critically need to. If they had files pre-modified for every IPB release that would make things a whole lot easier. But they don't because it's against the IPS TOS, and it would require them to verify licenses, which they cannot do.

A lot of things will change in IPB 3.0 when it finally gets that far... I'm content in waiting. Given the severity of the version number and from hearing the words "major", a lot can happen.

I'm using htaccess to make the URLs a bit nicer, but it's not such a great solution either. I really hope that this will be a built-in feature in 3.0.

Is that all you use, a .htaccess file? If so, would you be willing to share it? :)

CommunitySEO is

not

a good option. Not only are they overpriced, I know of a huge forum where the mod caused a lot of issues for members on all browsers.

Okay, price is a matter of opinion.

Any factual information to back up point 2? Were these skin errors? Or a heavily modded forum?

I could post my .htaccess when I get home, but basically all I do is redirect all traffic from '/index.php?showforum=x' to '/forum/x' and then rewrite that back to the original URL. Definitely not the best (or fastest) way to do this, but it seems to work and doesn't require any code modifications.

I hate that the copyright is placed beneath IPB's but since there is no other place it could really give credit I guess it's somewhat fair.

That is the biggest reason why I don't think I'm going to buy it. Adding it to ever page... bah.

I wouldn't mind paying that much if:

- I could see the code and check it out first.
- It didn't add a copyright to every page of IPB.

Makes me want to code something myself... Wish I had the time :P.... So eventually I'll end up buying it.. Dang you!

I hate it when I can't decide to get something :(

I wouldn't mind paying that much if:

- I could see the code and check it out first.

- It didn't add a copyright to every page of IPB.

Makes me want to code something myself... Wish I had the time :P .... So eventually I'll end up buying it.. Dang you!

I hate it when I can't decide to get something :(

Hehe, I feel you. Though I will say this - I've seen the code, and it's quite good. In fact, I was impressed with the methods they used to rewrite the URL's. I expected to see a list of about 30-100 preg_replace lines, since that's the common method, but that's not actually how they do it, and is why it runs so fast.

Most mods add a copyright. I think they have copyright removal purchase option, but you'd have to check on their site.

All in all a good piece of software, I'd say. And regarding the money, it's about the same as our license, BUT that's for their perpetual license, which is good forever (as I understand it).

There isn't much else available that can compete presently I must say. I think they got a good niche.

As for us adding it - it's very tricky. Not all operating systems and webservers support it, and inevitably we'll hit problems due to it. Someone will want to use it and not get why they can't. Or they'll enable it and their site won't work. Or...

Archived