New Skin Help

Guest King Buzzo

I have yet to get a good answer for this. I am currently running 2.2 and am at the biginning stages of creating a new skin. Should I upgrade to 2.3 and base the new skin off of the 2.3 Pro skin? If so, why? What are the advantages of this new skin? I can't find anything that details why it was changed and what is better about it.

Thanks in advance!

It's up to you whether you upgrade and use the pro skin or stick with the normal skin, and it depends on what sort of skin you're doing.

If you're doing a simple skin that's mostly colour and image changes, you may find the pro skin makes it a quicker process. All major colours are moved into a separate css file so you can go through and quickly swap colours in a logical order. The images are all neutral so you can also leave them as they are if you wish. The pro skin is designed to enable you to quickly put together a basic skin with minimum hassle.

If you're doing a more complex skin though that's a departure from the normal 'IPB look', you may be more comfortable starting from the usual default skin if that's what you know, because the pro skin probably won't speed you up much in that case.

Don't forget that in 2.3, both skins are still available for use, so you won't lose the old default skin if you upgrade.

Hope that helps :)

Archived