Hiding a members year of birth

Guest Oasismad

Ive had a member contact me on my forum to ask if its possible to hide her year of birth, which i think for obvious reasons is a good idea, how is it possible to hide just the year of birth and also the age of a member?

Ive searched the forum but cannot find a topic on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

View My Forum

or do like I do, enter another year instead ;)

To be honest if you can specify that you dont want your email address to be shown to other users why not your year of birth, this girl is 15 and i understand her reasons there are some sick people out there these days and shes entitled to her privacy shes tried to blank it but it gives you an error of giving an invalid date.

To be honest i think it should only show someones birthdays and not what actual age they are!

To be honest if you can specify that you dont want your email address to be shown to other users why not your year of birth, this girl is 15 and i understand her reasons there are some sick people out there these days and shes entitled to her privacy shes tried to blank it but it gives you an error of giving an invalid date.

To be honest i think it should only show someones birthdays and not what actual age they are!

Don't get Luke rialed up, please!

No, because this has been suggested before. Luke is very much in favor of it, and hence brought this suggestion forth numerous times on numerous occasions. I'd really recommend searching for the existing suggestion(s) and replying to those. :)

Hence me saying ive already searched for "how to hide a members year of birth" in fact have you read my first post.

I love people that dont take any notice of what you have wrote no wonder he gets worked up if hes being ignored on something that your "customers" want

If this is such a huge issue for you, a solution was already posted in this topic:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...t&p=1490762

Having such a simple workaround as just not inputting your birthdate means that even if it is a feature lots of people request then it is still not a top priority issue for IPS to implement. If you absolutely have to have this feature, go over to IPSBeyond to the Modification Requests forum and see if a mod maker can make this for you.

To be honest if you can specify that you dont want your email address to be shown to other users why not your year of birth

Actually you can't. You can specify that you want your email private, but that is not the same as "shown" as there are 2 versions of usage for non-private emails controlled by the administrator. One allows emails through a secure form and another directly displays it.

Hence me saying ive already searched for "how to hide a members year of birth" in fact have you read my first post.

Actually, you couldn't search for that if you tried as 5 of the words in that phrase are less than 4 characters and would cause the search to return in error. Unless you placed it all in quotes. But, if you did that, you'd have narrowed your search down to only posts using that exact phrase, which would be a quite silly way of searching :)

I love people that dont take any notice of what you have wrote no wonder he gets worked up if hes being ignored on something that your "customers" want

That's quit the contrary to everything I've seen at IPS over the past few years. The only people that say this now are those whom have their ideas replied "not now". When ever there is a good majority, with valid purpose, requesting a particular feature, IPS has been pretty good about adding it. Take the new profile for example. You must also realize that IPS gets far more feedback from clients that never visit these forums as well. :)

Actually you can't. You can specify that you want your email private, but that is not the same as "shown" as there are 2 versions of usage for non-private emails controlled by the administrator. One allows emails through a secure form and another directly displays it.

Actually, you couldn't search for that if you tried as 5 of the words in that phrase are less than 4 characters and would cause the search to return in error. Unless you placed it all in quotes. But, if you did that, you'd have narrowed your search down to only posts using that exact phrase, which would be a quite silly way of searching :)

That's quit the contrary to everything I've seen at IPS over the past few years. The only people that say this now are those whom have their ideas replied "not now". When ever there is a good majority, with valid purpose, requesting a particular feature, IPS has been pretty good about adding it. Take the new profile for example. You must also realize that IPS gets far more feedback from clients that never visit these forums as well. :)

Well i actually searched "hiding members year birth"

If IPS dont mind the fact that they are allowing kiddy fiddlers to target young children, then i hope they receive the right kind of punishment

I do see your point - it's one of the things that gets on my nerves about IP.Board. You seem to be blowing the issue slightly out of context though - there's nothing requiring a user to enter their birthday in. If they are worried about privacy concerns, they simply don't enter it in.

Sure, it's not ideal, but if you're worried about safety then it's very secure.

It would seem the simplest solution is to make entering the year optional when entering a birthday. That way those who want to show their age can, but those who do not can still get birthday greetings one per year. What's the big deal?... if IPB were to simply make the year optional then everyone could be happy with this, I'd think.

Archived