[Suggestion] ... "Contact Us"

Guest AndyF

I was thinking that really the "contact the admin" link that appears on the error pages could do with a big change instead of just a mailto: type link.

Also it would be good if it was encorporated into the board index too somehow.

I would like to see a similar system to what VB has for this, where by it opens a form to fill in (with captcha if its a guest using it) , a choice of options (ie registration problem / feedback etc etc) and a selectable different email address for any enquires. Obviously with an acp on / off switch too.

Just something i wanted to mention anyway. :)

Any thoughts ? :)

I was thinking that really the "contact the admin" link that appears on the error pages could do with a big change instead of just a mailto: type link.

Also it would be good if it was encorporated into the board index too somehow.

I would like to see a similar system to what VB has for this, where by it opens a form to fill in (with captcha if its a guest using it) , a choice of options (ie registration problem / feedback etc etc) and a selectable different email address for any

enquires

. Obviously with an acp on / off switch too.

Just something i wanted to mention anyway. :)

Any thoughts ? :)

inquires instead of enquires.

Umm.. I support your suggestion.

inquires

instead of

enquires

Umm.. I support your suggestion.

Thanks :blush: :D .. (Could be a UK / US spelling difference though :unsure: )

And you can set these radio button options in vB on your own, too - it's a nice touch that allows for a wide range of customization, and I'm sure it would do well in IPB.

Yes i meant to mention that too. Also its switchable between allowing guests to use it or not (both with and without captcha)

:)

I agree with you on improvements. However I don't see it as necessary to IPB's default structure. It could easily be changed to suit and a module/component created to expand on it. This is (after all) just a single link. From my experience, this "mailto" link is the easiest and most practical way to address site issues.

Also, to prevent confusion, it isn't just a simple mailto:: link. Because it is JS operated, bots (spam or otherwise) are most likely unable to take advantage of it. They can't even read the url and "steal" an email address from it because it points to a javascript function. So as it stands now there isn't even a need for captcha as only a human with an installed email client and JS enabled can properly access the link.

Also, to prevent confusion, it isn't just a simple mailto:: link. Because it is JS operated, bots (spam or otherwise) are most likely unable to take advantage of it. They can't even read the url and "steal" an email address from it because it points to a javascript function. So as it stands now there isn't even a need for captcha as only a human with an installed email client and JS enabled can properly access the link.

Thats interesting then, i was not sure if a bot could actually make use of the link :unsure: ...

I would say it needs really (imo) to be more readily accessable for people who are new or maybe cannot register for some reason.

Be nice if it opened a page though with a box / form to fill in (as an option) for those that didnt want it to open their email client. :)

Archived