3.0 Suggestions

Guest Rοb

Idea #1

I would like to see a welcome email being sent out to all users who have successfully registered (contents of the email being defined via the ACP).

The same email would of course need to be sent out to members manually validated via the board admin(s) if admin/email validation is switched on.

I feel this would be a good addition to the IPB software as officially being welcomed to a website/forum would look very professional to a new member or potential client.

Another reason (probably the main reason) is that such a feature could be very handy for board admins who use admin/email validation and/or manually activate accounts because the email could be used for letting the user(s) know their account is now active and that they can log in.

Currently, if an admin manually validates an account it is a complete lottery as to whether the user ever returns to the site and attempts to log in with their updated account. This way at least they will know!

Such a feature could potentially raise the membership numbers on many of our forums.

Idea #2

This is a tiny little suggestion, but i guess all the little improvements help overall!

Join date is -> less than/more than (date)

Last post is -> less than/more than (date)

Last visit is -> less than/more than (date)

Well? Change the "less than/more than" to "before/after" (and "is" to "was"?), it makes more sense!

e.g Last visit was before 31.12.05

Idea #3

Custom profile information editable via profile itself, same as sections above it (gender, location, dob).

idea_3.gif

Idea #4

ACP Check boxes. More please!

Examples:

You can "Add a moderator to all checked forum(s)" by ticking boxes but you have to remove them one by one which can take forever and a day.

Saved Moderator Logs - Same thing, have to delete one by one.

Saved Admin Logs - Same...

This goes on in a few places, I'm sure Ive missed some. Make life easier for board admins!

Idea #5

Signature restrictions. Yes, this is being brought up again. Zzz...

In my opinion, having to warn users about having too many/too large images or lines in their signatures is completely unnecessary, time consuming and stressfull!.

If users can't break the rules in the first place then there would be no need for rules and regulations etc (and having to chase people).

The moral of this story? Prevention rather than cure. Give us the tools to decide exactly what we allow/disallow on our boards!

Idea #6

Moderation permissions - groups.

This one is simple, allow board admins to assign moderation permissions via user group as well as on an individual user basis.

As we all know it is currently a nightmare to add moderators to a forum, this suggestion would be a major help.

----------

Let me know what you guys think of these ickle suggestions :)

That was purely as an example, custom fields can of course be anything!

The idea of using Ajax to update these fields is simply to keep things consistent as it makes no sense to have only some profile fields editable via the profile itself but not others :)

I thought these were good suggestions, in particular I like the #1, #4, #5 and #6. Number 1 and 5 are available as mods, but they are quite popular so can be made part of the software itself. For the signatures restriction, then perhaps a way to permit signatures only for certain groups should be included as well as I don't know any mod that does that presently.

What would be the point of having your marital status and location editable via AJAX? How frequently do you change either? AJAX for the sake of AJAX can be an infuriating thing.

How frequently do you change your birthday or your gender? Those are still AJAXed.

I think a welcome pm is better than a welcome email, after all an email is already sent to validate their email address... :unsure:

Some users may not receive their validation email (spam filters etc) and get manually validated by a board admin.
Some forums have admin validation only.

The email idea would benefit both of the above because...

Currently, if an admin manually validates an account it is a complete lottery as to whether the user ever returns to the site and attempts to log in with their updated account. This way at least they will know!

On my board we manually activate quite a few accounts and such a feature would certainly benefit us, although this of course will vary board to board :)

Great suggestions... ironically the same ones made in 2.0 to 2.1 and were ignored there too... Fortunately there are mods to correct these oversites for 2.1 and the main reason many are not upgrading to 2.2, let alone the ironic thought of 3.0 where we will be ignored even more so.

Archived