Suggested Features

Guest TwinHawksClub

A shoutbox or chatroom feature. I've added a shoutbox to my IPB, and I just don't see how this modification can be as popular as it is and IPB not have already added it as a feature. You could just make it like the portal where if people want it on, you can turn it on, and if you want it off, you can turn it off.

I had a request from one of my user's to be able to see date and time when you hover over a user's name on the main forum page. So it would be nice if you could have that setting on the next version. Maybe just a box where you enter the format and specifics of what you want it to show (as far as the date, format of the date, etc.).

I'll reply to this if I think of any other features so that I don't have to start a new topic.

Why would IPS make their own chat room when it would only be identical to existing ones?

Why would IPS make a forum, it would only be identical to vBulletin. :unsure:

Come on, you know it wouldn't be identical, however, it might look close.

Besides, after the company that makes the forum software adds a feature, the feature that is a mod will not continue to be made. :)

Just because a mod is popular does not mean it would make a great feature for the board itself. Look at the questions that come in on the support topics for the Shoutbox mod, those are all issues that IPS support would have to deal with if they added a Shoutbox into the software. And like Professor P said, there is no reason for Invision to code their own chatroom software when they already have two that are compatible.

Just because a mod is popular does not mean it would make a great feature for the board itself. Look at the questions that come in on the support topics for the Shoutbox mod, those are all issues that IPS support would have to deal with if they added a Shoutbox into the software. And like Professor P said, there is no reason for Invision to code their own chatroom software when they already have two that are compatible.

Well, Invision has more skilled coders than any of those that make shoutboxes (with respect). Plus, they also have the benefit of not having people contact them and ask them when their shoutbox will come out for the new IPB version. They can keep it under wraps until they release it. They also go through alpha testing and beta testing, so must of the bugs should be dealt with.

Companies should not fear improving their product (and increasing their product's complexity) just because of worrying about getting more support emails.

It's a business, first and foremost.

Yes, it is a business, and as such they have to support any features they add. Shoutboxes are resource intensive. They work great on board with a few members online at a time. Once one of those big boards turns this feature on and lets its members flood it, then that board's host is quickly going to be contacting the site owners telling them to shut that off.

I have it on good authority that such a feature will never be added to the base product, and I am very thankful of that. ^_^

Yes, it is a business, and as such they have to support any features they add. Shoutboxes are resource intensive. They work great on board with a few members online at a time. Once one of those big boards turns this feature on and lets its members flood it, then that board's host is quickly going to be contacting the site owners telling them to shut that off.

I have it on good authority that such a feature will never be added to the base product, and I am very thankful of that. ^_^

Naaaah, you're looking at an 'if', not a 'when'.

That's like saying if a big board changes it so that guests can post and also turns off all the flood limits.

If you are managing a big board and manage to do something like that, you shouldn't be managing a big board. :lol:

But, Invision also makes a blog, and gallery, and soon a CMS.

I just don't see where Invision draws the line. A shoutbox is just a different way to communicate with other users, just like a message board, and just like a blog. And there is a feature to add pictures in Invision (as you know), so really why have a gallery?

Oh well, I thought it was a pretty good suggestion. If Invision isn't interested in hearing ideas (and actually considering implementing them) from current customers, maybe there shouldn't be a customer feedback section. :thumbsup:

You do already have a done deal with current customers, because they have a perpetual license, but it doesn't mean that they won't be purchasing any of your other products. And it certainly doesn't mean that they'll recommend your product to others or continue to use it.

It's not that we don't listen - if that were the case I wouldn't have even replied to the topic. :blink:

It's just that a line does have to be drawn. A shoutbox does not really have anything to do with a forum, but at the same time likely isn't going to be worthy of selling as an addon component, especially when we already have true chat clients (addonchat and parachat). In all actuality, the focus lately has been on polishing and enhancing the features we already have (i.e. in 2.2 we didn't add a lot of features, we just enhanced what we already had).

There are components for shoutboxes already available. :) Components do not require file edits, and are preserved during upgrades (mostly, at least).

invision make products not mods. I don't think shoutbox should be default as personally i don't like them, takes the eye off the important thing which is the forum.

The point was that it wouldn't be a mod anymore, it would be part of the product.

I don't think portals should be default either, but they are.

Shoutboxes are a big nono for big boards, take alot of resources out of the server, and true like most peopl ehave said, surely it takes the point out of a forum.

There are plenty good shoutboxes out there, I am not sure why you dont use them, and alot of mods do go through alpha and such. I know some of mine have, SSB's have, Lohan (Bug tracker and support center guy) have. However some dont, it depends on the size really.

Archived