Due to all the "report piracy"

Guest Strange_Will

Be a bit odd to have something like that actually integrated into IPB though...

A more sensible course of action would be for IPS to update the rules sections in relevant forums to include information about reporting piracy. Of course, everyone would ignore it as per usual.

Be a bit odd to have something like that actually integrated into IPB though...

A more sensible course of action would be for IPS to update the rules sections in relevant forums to include information about reporting piracy. Of course, everyone would ignore it as per usual.

Ah I'd figure integrating it to IPB would be the easiest way, thats why I was suggesting it.

And we know how good the rules stops people. ;)

No matter what there will always be TONS of piracy and people will not report it. Just the way it works. IPS will lose TONS of profit. Life goes on. I am willing ot be that over half of the IPB's out there are pirated versions... Why pay when you can get it for free, and most will be nun-the-wiser?

There are a million reasons why not to use a pirated version, to name a few:

1. Security - the software is probably tampered with. How do you know as soon as you hit 'install' your admin username and password isn't going to be emailed to someone?
  2. Support - IPS' support, while sometimes boycotted is amazing. Only yesterday did I report a bug, later that day I saw a staff member mark the bug as fixed. I then submitted a ticket asking them to install the fix, and you know what? When I woke up this morning a developer had sorted it all out for me! You don't get that with a pirated version.
  3. Updates - While you can download updates in the same way you downloaded the first time, you're definatly not going to get the updates for at least a couple of days - and if it's a security update - well, you're screwed
  4. Risk - If IPS do find you, and you're on a public host, you'll be shut down and possibky have legal action taken against you
  5. Instability - a lot of redistributers will remove linkbacks to IPS, like the latest news and whatnot. Some even add their own marks in the ACP and whatnot, which can make the system malfunction.
  6. Conscience - You can't tell me you don't feel guilty after stealing a product worth $150! And most of these pirates get all the add-ons - I have all components and a perp license - cost me $350 itnitially and a further $110 every year (if my maths is as good as I think) - I know if I had stolen that amount of money Iit's be playing on my conscience
By no means are we saying a piracy reporter stops it completly, but it helps.
In fact, I remember not that long ago a lot of sites got an Email if they didn't have a valid id in their ACP. (There were a few IPSBeyond topics)

There are a million reasons why not to use a pirated version, to name a few:

1. Security - the software is probably tampered with. How do you know as soon as you hit 'install' your admin username and password isn't going to be emailed to someone?
  2. Support - IPS' support, while sometimes boycotted is amazing. Only yesterday did I report a bug, later that day I saw a staff member mark the bug as fixed. I then submitted a ticket asking them to install the fix, and you know what? When I woke up this morning a developer had sorted it all out for me! You don't get that with a pirated version.
  3. Updates - While you can download updates in the same way you downloaded the first time, you're definatly not going to get the updates for at least a couple of days - and if it's a security update - well, you're screwed
  4. Risk - If IPS do find you, and you're on a public host, you'll be shut down and possibky have legal action taken against you
  5. Instability - a lot of redistributers will remove linkbacks to IPS, like the latest news and whatnot. Some even add their own marks in the ACP and whatnot, which can make the system malfunction.
  6. Conscience - You can't tell me you don't feel guilty after stealing a product worth $150! And most of these pirates get all the add-ons - I have all components and a perp license - cost me $350 itnitially and a further $110 every year (if my maths is as good as I think) - I know if I had stolen that amount of money Iit's be playing on my conscience

By no means are we saying a piracy reporter stops it completly, but it helps.

In fact, I remember not that long ago a lot of sites got an Email if they didn't have a valid id in their ACP. (There were a few IPSBeyond topics)

Thank you for saying that I honestly agree, if we buy it we have every right to taught you if you stole or use a illegal copy. You must feel guilty for using a illegal board, because I knew someone that did and it bugged the hell out of him, and I finally got him to buy it. :thumbsup:

Just want to clear a few things :)

There are trusted nullers out there, wh don't do that for reputaion sake.
  1. Support - IPS' support, while sometimes boycotted is amazing. Only yesterday did I report a bug, later that day I saw a staff member mark the bug as fixed. I then submitted a ticket asking them to install the fix, and you know what? When I woke up this morning a developer had sorted it all out for me! You don't get that with a pirated version.

There are a couple of good non-official forums out there
  1. Updates - While you can download updates in the same way you downloaded the first time, you're definatly not going to get the updates for at least a couple of days - and if it's a security update - well, you're screwed

The way torrents are going, you will get an update after 6-7 days. Security updates are available publicly in the news section.
  1. Risk - If IPS do find you, and you're on a public host, you'll be shut down and possibky have legal action taken against you

Callback protections, hotlinking, nullers ain't stupid.
  1. Instability - a lot of redistributers will remove linkbacks to IPS, like the latest news and whatnot. Some even add their own marks in the ACP and whatnot, which can make the system malfunction.

Then remove if you see any dodgy code.
  1. Conscience - You can't tell me you don't feel guilty after stealing a product worth $150! And most of these pirates get all the add-ons - I have all components and a perp license - cost me $350 itnitially and a further $110 every year (if my maths is as good as I think) - I know if I had stolen that amount of money Iit's be playing on my conscience

<_<
That's what attracts so many people. Maybe if Invision put there foot down, the business of nulling would come crashing.
By no means what i am saying should encourage illegal boards. There are far worse repercussions.

MC-- if you don't support piracy, then don't make posts that make it look like you do. The fact you have a counter example to the bad parts about piracy, shows you might not think it isn't all that bad ( which it is, when you use a nulled board, your risking the future of this company and the life styles of everyone connected to it ), saying you "don't support it" after those comments doesn't make those comments any better.

I know people who have come from piracy - most people do see the common sense. when they work ou what they're dealing with.

There are trusted nullers out there, wh don't do that for reputaion sake.

Honor amongst theives? Come on, there is no such thing as a trustworthy criminal.

There are a couple of good non-official forums out there

But how many of them can fix bugs before they are even released? How many will get you a PHP professional taking a look at your board in depth? None.

The way torrents are going, you will get an update after 6-7 days. Security updates are available publicly in the news section.

That's 6-7 days for someone to hack you. Hotfixes are normally released publically, but if you're running say 2.1.6 - you're at risk.

Callback protections, hotlinking, nullers ain't stupid.

Neither are IPS - all it takes is for the wrong person to stumble against your board. And also my point about instability.

Then remove if you see any dodgy code.

Not even Matt Mecham would go through every line of code. All it takes is one line - a simple mail() function - they could slip it in with other similar functions and nobody would be none the wiser.
The callback removals also removes features, being able to see the latest version, and a few other things.

Maybe if Invision put there foot down, the business of nulling would come crashing.

They do their best. I was actually accused of piracy once, and trust me, IPS don't take it lightly.

I know people who have come from piracy - most people do see the common sense. when they work ou what they're dealing with.

Honor amongst theives? Come on, there is no such thing as a trustworthy criminal.

Yes. Some like Team DGT and Script Mafia are known to be trustworthy. Something like that old Saying ' thieves never steal from each other :)

But how many of them can fix bugs before they are even released? How many will get you a PHP professional taking a look at your board in depth? None.

Well, the bugs arisen aren't so important.... I don't get you :(

That's 6-7 days for someone to hack you. Hotfixes are normally released publically, but if you're running say 2.1.6 - you're at risk.

People who use nulled boards dont show off. They will use it with a couple of friends or in private.

Not even Matt Mecham would go through every line of code. All it takes is one line - a simple mail() function - they could slip it in with other similar functions and nobody would be none the wiser.

The callback removals also removes features, being able to see the latest version, and a few other things.

As i said, pro hackers do look at the code

They do their best. I was actually accused of piracy once, and trust me, IPS don't take it lightly.

They do. How many times have i submitted wares sites, nothing happens nulled-warez.org, puzo.org, so man others. :blink:

I hope we can keep this topic nice, so it doesn't get locked. It's an interesting conversation :)

:) <-- Shows I'm discussing not arguing

Yes. Some like Team DGT and Script Mafia are known to be trustworthy. Something like that old Saying ' thieves never steal from each other

Like I said, you can't go through every line of code.

Well, the bugs arisen aren't so important.... I don't get you

When the developers of the program are the ones supporting you, you can obviously get things you can't anywhere else.

People who use nulled boards dont show off. They will use it with a couple of friends or in private.

You name two later in your post ;)

They do. How many times have i submitted wares sites, nothing happens nulled-warez.org, puzo.org, so man others.

Sometimes it's just not possible. Those sites might host themselves, in which case they're not going to shut themselves down, and there are so many, it's not worth the legal fees to try and shut them down, and countries like Russia and Vietnam, don't have the laws that allow IPS to shut them down legally so sites in places like that can't be shut down.
But the majority of people using nulled boards I assume are using a crappy free host and it's easy to squash them, but like you said, these are not very well known and so do not get discovered.

• 2 months later...

It is quite simple what the conclusion is, people who use illegal IPS software in countries such as Canada, America, Britain, etc... will probably get caught due to federal and national law. But even then people will still use the power board! I still want to buy one but in need of money, saving up first for a laptop and then will buy the forum system! For now I use Simple Machines Forum (SMF).

Although I tankered around with the demo of IP Board almost 4 times lol I just love it!

Archived