Topic Bump

Guest ~Dopey~

invisionize.com

Probably the biggest IPB modding site. bfarber used to be an admin there before he came to work for IPS

Ah right, well I've never seen it abbreviated like that... I have heard of it and use it though.

why would you need a feature like this? Can't you just post to bumb it?

Because posting is just tacky and isn't a nice thing to see, just makes you look desperate, which isn't the reason why I'd like this feature. I want the feature to bump a topic so that members will notice it, amongst new members.

That's what most people do...

Well I'm not most people nor should you judge by majority, it usually ruins it for the minority <_<

If they had kept the old code-base completely people would have their boards hacked constantly because of the found security exploits. They would have to patch found exploits and find others that were not found because the 1.3 code base was totally scraped and not taken further. So it kind of makes sense that they would add onto it themselves. They use 1.3.0 as their bases currently because if they used 1.3.1 or higher they would be in violation of the TOS :).

Personally I don't like seeing members saying "bump", etc... But it's not what they say to bump that bothers me, it's that they think that they can bump the topic. The only way I see this as a useful feature is if only a moderator or admin could use it. Allowing a member to use it would just spell caos.

Just as a tip: If you want to bump a post you can set the merge time value to a very large number so it always merges double posts. Even though the posts get merged, the topic does get bumped. After that you can just edit out what you added. That's how I do it anyway.

I have used both 1.3 final and Invision free and they have a lot of differences.
Granted a lot of them are just restrictions on what you can do but they have added features people have asked for.

# March 23rd, 2006: InvisionFree announces new service name: ZetaBoards.

I also read a thread about the zetaboards they are working on and it did say they are going to switch over to that and drop ipb.

I have used both 1.3 final and Invision free and they have a lot of differences.

Granted a lot of them are just restrictions on what you can do but they have added features people have asked for.

I also read a thread about the zetaboards they are working on and it did say they are going to switch over to that and drop ipb.

I don't blame them. If 1.3 used globals like 2.0 did, it would be in their best interest to use something more standards driven.

I just love IPB 2.1 and 2.2... especially 2.2. :wub:

Actually I don't, as it wasn't stated anywhere.

If you're referring to the release of ZetaBoards' then you're sadly mistaken. ZetaBoards' (the new InvisionFree) has been announced for more than a year now. There's loads about it on InvisionFree support board.

No, I'm not. Why would I be? The question I was asked was if I knew that IF was updating IPB 1.3 on their own. Not to mention that IF making their own board system is irrelevant to the question of why IF features arn't in IPB. Zetaboards isn't IPB 1.3.

Archived