Auto MySQL Backup

Guest lisss001

I think that It would be an excellent idea to integrate a features into Invision Powerboard for automatic database backup. This would be a logical and useful feature of the forum software which could be used to either save a copy of the database locally or send it to a specified email addesss in a compressed format. I know that it is currently possible to obtain modifications which can do this, however I feel that it would be even better if it was a part of the forum software anyway. I mean it would help virtually any webmaster restore a board in virtually minutes if a site went down. Also another reason why I would like this to be a prt of the forum software is that not everyone is aware that a modification such is this can be installed. I only even considered using it untill last night when I nearly lost my entire forum community. I think this features should really be implemeneted into IPB ;)

Hope you consider it !

There is a modification out there for this out there right now for 2.1.x. I use this modification and I love it. They really need to incorporate this into IPB for 3.0, as it is a vital feature and should not be left as a modification. I fully support this idea and would love to see it in IPB 3.0.

I think this could be done beause some people own their own dedicated servers. Also it could have options such as to only backup the last 1,000 most recent topics and to backup all members. It's really should be added to IPB by default. Rememer not everyone has to use it but I bet a majority of people would.

I don't think a 2GB DB is going to make it through an email.. Also imagine if a nice big 2 GB database was being backed up on your shared server slowing the machine down a bunch...

Implement gzip, zip, tar compression as an option for those webmasters with large databases :thumbsup:

With the proper documentation and well written code there shouldn't be a problem. What I mean by Documentation is for example "Documentation on small databases and big databases" and so on. With the busy server load, not hard to set the back up to 4:30 5:00 in the morning ah? Though you need to be careful of the insomniacs. Like me!

I have this mod, it gzips it and stores it on my server, deleting the old one. It does this every day at 3am and switches the board offline automatically while it does it.

I have a large forum and it rarely takes more than 6 seconds

But have you ever tryed restoring the backups that were backed-uped with that mod?

It has some sort of error.

But have you ever tryed restoring the backups that were backed-uped with that mod?

It has some sort of error.

No, it saves it as a standard SQL file. However 90% of forums will need to upload it in chunks (due to it being too big), or do what I do - get your host to upload it for you :thumbsup:

As Fusoya said, the chances of this getting added are slim. ;)

While a large number of sites are not relatively "big" (i.e., mysql size may be around 100 MB), we do have several sites that are enormous. Those 2 GB databases would kill the server.

We get tickets as it is on the MySQL backup not working on large databases...an auto backup and restore feature would likely be much more hassle than it is worth.

I think people are forgetting that IPB is a forum. It is not an all in one website management system, though it does provide plenty of tools to build this sort of platform from. This isn't really a forum feature if you ask me, and if you want it with IPB, it's better left to a mod. Really, it's better left to your host management or cpanel, in my opinion. But if you can swing it from a web interface, go for it.

Did you read

any

of the reasons for not including it? It may make sense to you, but you're only looking at it from your end, not from the point of view of the people who have to support such a feature.

A warning about potential issues that could arise from overly large databases being dumped (memory limits being exceeded, timeouts etc.) could be placed within the description of the cron job. And so on.

I was actually making the assumption that people would be smart enough to manage this feature on their own and deal with any un-workroundable problems that may arise by turning it off. Perhaps an assumption too far :)

I was actually making the assumption that people would be smart enough to manage this feature on their own and deal with any un-workroundable problems that may arise by turning it off. Perhaps an assumption too far

You have no idea....it is indeed an assumption that cannot be made. If we include a feature, EVERYONE expects it to work flawlessly, regardless of the reasons that it may not work (such as trying to backup a 2 GB database via a web script).

Archived