Ok LOL

Guest lrusso

this will be unpopular question but, when RC 1 comes out I will update my life board to it :o!
I wanna know if I do a MYSQL database backup my change of data loss is almost 0 correct?

I know you don't recommend updating but I just wanna confirm my feelings.

I wanna know if I do a MYSQL database backup my change of data loss is almost 0 correct?

Your chance of data loss is more heavily based upon your ability to complete a backup and restore the backup if something goes wrong.

If you can't restore the backup if something breaks, your chance of data loss would be much much higher than 0.

Why would something go wrong? Just follow the damn instructions! They aren't that hard to follow you know!

Perhaps an SQL error half way through the upgrade routine. Wouldn't that be unfortunate? Since it is RC, we would not be able to support the issue - but if you ran it on your live site and destroyed everything, it would not be a good scenario for the OP.

Point is, we don't recommend using beta or RC versions of our software on your live site until the official 'word' has been given that it is relatively safe to do so.

Your chance of data loss is more heavily based upon your ability to complete a backup

and restore the backup if something goes wrong

If you can't restore the backup if something breaks, your chance of data loss would be much much higher than 0.

lol :thumbsup: i think i can handle it

Hm, when you can do a database backup, why can't you simply overwrite the data, which does not work and go back to the old state?

The other question is, if the RC 1 is supported. I don't think so, therefore I will just wait until that. :)

More a general question, but do people know how to make a copy of the database and run the upgrade on that?

How do other people do it? Ive always used phpMyAdmin, created a duplicate database called something like forums_beta, created a copy of conf_global.php and edited the database name so it uses the forums_beta database, saved it in the folder containing the new files (call it forums_beta and also change the path/url in conf_global.php and set correct permissions, of course) and run the upgrader.

Just remember that release candidate adn beta are to test stability, find bugs and provide feedback, why should they be supported? I cant believe how impatient some people are, and how wiilling people are to take risks with their procdtuion board (almost wreckless).

Your chance of data loss is more heavily based upon your ability to complete a backup

and restore the backup if something goes wrong

Yeah, like with 1and1, you only can restore 2mb of sql at a time, with a 10mb sql file I want to cry (I could probably chop that down way more)

Suposedly you can do it through SSH, I dunno how.

I just installed it and think it should be standard in IPB, that would be an awesome thing to have!

As for the link:

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/6456

Oh, I had a problem with that ending up locking my board randomly, and the task never completing, I was hoping it was a new one.

Could you imagine that running on a 100 GB database?

It will probably be fine for a relatively small database, but once you approach 1 GB and over, people would start running into problems, and then submit support tickets (at which point we'd have to try to explain why it doesn't work, and some users just wouldn't understand).

Could you imagine that running on a 100 GB database?

It will probably be fine for a relatively small database, but once you approach 1 GB and over, people would start running into problems, and then submit support tickets (at which point we'd have to try to explain why it doesn't work, and some users just wouldn't understand).

Oh my database is reletively small.

Actually I'm kind of fearful, 1and1 lets me have 50 100mb databases, can't I just have 5 1 gb databases? :P

Archived