Image resize

Guest Jaggi

i just thought of this when looking at someones sig, the image has been resized and it has the horrible click to show fullsize image thing stapled across it. HORRIBLE. Now i can see how this can work in posts etc but i thinking maybe there should be an option where we can still resize images and have them clickable but WITHOUT the message across the top of them, maybe even keep the boundry box.

i just thought of this when looking at someones sig, the image has been resized and it has the horrible click to show fullsize image thing stapled across it. HORRIBLE. Now i can see how this can work in posts etc but i thinking maybe there should be an option where we can still resize images and have them clickable but WITHOUT the message across the top of them, maybe even keep the boundry box.

I agree its very ugly

How big was the full size image? If the image was more than the width of your screen then you can see why it has been done. Have you got a link?

i saw it in another thread but there is a example in this thread too. Just where you can see unitedpakistans sig the bottom right is the horrible "view full size image" over the top of the image which kinda destroys the image, i think the resize is a welcome improvement just not the txt over the top of it, sigs are made to be seen not covered!! also summit weird i noticed about that sig is that the entire whitespace to the right and left side of it has become clickable also and connects to the image, surely only the image should do this? bug?

i saw it in another thread but there is a example in this thread too. Just where you can see unitedpakistans sig the bottom right is the horrible "view full size image" over the top of the image which kinda destroys the image, i think the resize is a welcome improvement just not the txt over the top of it, sigs are made to be seen not covered!! also summit weird i noticed about that sig is that the entire whitespace to the right and left side of it has become clickable also and connects to the image, surely only the image should do this? bug?

Yeah, it seems kinda funky with the white space becoming anchored, but unfortunately I don't think you can do anything about it. Such is the nature of the beast (the beast being the XHTML DOM, of course :P) unfortunately.

FYI, I've stopped image signatures being resized for the public RC 1 release.

Why? o_O

I personaly dont see the problem with sigs being re-sized. The size should be set by the admin, and should be an option. IPB shouldnt "assume" size to resize, and shouldnt do it automaticly. Its a kind of feature which should have an ON / OFF setting

The size should be set by the admin, and should be an option. IPB shouldnt "assume" size to resize, and shouldnt do it automaticly. Its a kind of feature which should have an ON / OFF setting

It currently is setup like that.

Though I am not too sure how it affects what Matt has done with the sig resizing. But I know the feature itself has an on-off switch, along with what to resize, etc.

It currently is setup like that.

Though I am not too sure how it affects what Matt has done with the sig resizing. But I know the feature itself has an on-off switch, along with what to resize, etc.

OK so im still confused. What are people complaining about? Why was it disabled (im assuming just turned of, and not removed for RC1)?

The settings in the ACP include "On/Off" and "Percentage threshold" - that is, if the image is over (for example) 50% of the screen width resize it to 50% of the screen width.

It was removed for sigs because of the numerous requests - sig images won't be auto resized.

The settings in the ACP include "On/Off" and "Percentage threshold" - that is, if the image is over (for example) 50% of the screen width resize it to 50% of the screen width.

Excellent.

It was removed for sigs because of the numerous requests - sig images won't be auto resized.

Here's how I think the system should work:

There should be two textboxes, one for signatures and one for posts. Entering a 0 in either box would disable the system for either signatures or posts. Entering a number would set a cut-off of that many pixels, and entering a number with a percent sign would set a cut-off of that percentage of the browser window width. Furthermore, clicking on "show full size image" should trigger an AJAX function instead of opening a new window.

It would be entirely too taxing to add settings for individual places where images can be resized. Then you get into "Resize settings for profile", "resize settings for portal", "resize settings for topics", "resize settings for sigs", "resize settings for calendar events".....adding too many settings is not always the best route. :)

I think if it was administrative option - you would have less hassle.

Essentialy Sigs & Topics are the main places image resizing needs to be used.

It would be entirely too taxing to add settings for individual places where images can be resized. Then you get into "Resize settings for profile", "resize settings for portal", "resize settings for topics", "resize settings for sigs", "resize settings for calendar events".....adding too many settings is not always the best route. :)

That's true. But that doesn't mean that disabling the system for signatures is better than giving admins the option to decide if they want it on or not. While just about everything on the forums takes roughly the form of a post, signatures are a special case. Their repetition and position make them have special rules on a lot of forums. Many forums have a specific size limit on signature images, which they would like to use the system for. They may use want to use the system for posts, but perhaps with a percentage. What's wrong with having two input fields?

Archived