Not too sure about the new version

Guest GerryMc

I installed the Beta Version 2.2.0 as a test board, and tried a few things with it, not one of the skins I tried worked with it and they were all 2.1.X skins which work on 2.1.7 and when I tried to import a SQL Database it would not have it.

I thought the purpose of releasing a Beta Version was to see if it was compatable with whats out there, so far I have not had very good results :( :( will this new version work with the skins and mods that are out there now?

Gerry

I'm sure 2.2 uses a different database set up. I recommend getting version 2 which has a upgrade from 2.1.7 in it. Set up a copy forum and upgrade it to beta 2 and see how everything goes. Don't do it to your live board, would be bad if something with wrong and there may not be any upgrades for beta 3 or RC versions so if that was the case you would have to downgrade which would be more trouble then its worth.

Thanks for the info, but to be honest I think I am going to give this a wide berth, it is just not compatable with anything, and there are going to be a lot of very disappointed users when it is released. I have always used IPB however I am strongly thinking of going elsewhere now, its getting worse instead of better, all bells and whistles and make me look good, with no real upgradability factor. I have just paid out a $140 for the Board and Gallery and 2.1.7 works I guess I will stay with it till something better comes along that works.

There should be no reason to expect your 2.1.7 skin to work with 2.2.0. Were you around when 2.0.4 got upgraded to 2.1.0? I remember it vaguely, as it happened just after I first purchased my license. Skins from 2.0.4 didn't work on 2.1.0 so there is no reason to expect it to be any different for this upgrade.

Just to give you an example of how little really changed, let me tell you this. I do NOT ever skin my forum, aside from downloading pre-made skins, and using them on my board. Going through the CSS and each page to make sure I have everything covered seems to be a daunting task to me, so that is why I don't do it (right now). However, I have a skin that I use a LOT and wanted to see if "I" could convert it to 2.2.0.

It took me about 5 hours of going through the site, going through the CSS and making a few of my own images and I have the skin converted. I had to make the new images for the Personal Profile Portal, otherwise it wasn't real hard to do. The only thing I didn't customize was the RTE/STD editor, so they still have the blue background on it for me.

The main thing that you have to keep in mind is that there are updated files even in the style_images/1 directory such as the ipb_menu_html.js file, and that was breaking my skin I was converting every time I told it to use my other image directory, until I realized what the problem was.

when I tried to import a SQL Database it would not have it.

OK, that's just silly. Every single version has a different database format. That's why you have to run the upgrade tool each time. It converts the existing database to work with the changes in the new version.

I thought the purpose of releasing a

Beta Version

was to see if it was compatable with whats out there

No, it's to find any remaining bugs in the software. That's the point of any beta. You declare a version of software feature complete and then find all the remaining bugs before releasing it as a final product. You don't blame IPS for changing things in the software, you blame other software that uses it for not updating to the changes.

will this new version work with the skins and mods that are out there now?

No, but when has any version of IPB worked with older versions of skins and mods?

There are going to be a lot of very disappointed users when it is released.

Again, did this happen with 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, or 2.1?

I have always used IPB however I am strongly thinking of going elsewhere now

Why? It's not like this is a unique problem with IPB. You have the same issues with any other software. Do you expect vB 2 skins to work with vB 3? It's not reasonable to think this, as changes have to be made in some form.

its getting worse instead of better, all bells and whistles and make me look good, with no real upgradability factor.

So, should IPS just stop developing IPB? In case you didn't notice, this isn't really a feature-packed release. They've spent more time cleaning up and locking down the code. If there's any reason to upgrade, it's for the security and speed increases alone.

So, should IPS just stop developing IPB? In case you didn't notice, this isn't really a feature-packed release. They've spent more time cleaning up and locking down the code. If there's any reason to upgrade, it's for the security and speed increases alone.

Not true, this is to bring it into line cosmetically with VB, the simalarities are unbelievable. Anyway I am not going to argue the point, suffice to say, its no good to me, end of story. Time for a change I think.

OK, maybe vBulletin will make it so you can import old databases into a new version of their software, or make it so any old skins will just work on their newer versions, but I doubt it. I guess if you're bringing up these concerns, then you've never really been around for a new release of any forum software, it always works this way.

Just for the record, if you have a 2.1.7 board setup with a 2.1.7 database, and 2.1.7 skins, when you run the upgrade script, those will both be updated. That's what the upgrade script does. You can't just install 2.2.0, drop in old stuff into it, and expect it to work.

Not true, this is to bring it into line cosmetically with VB, the simalarities are unbelievable. Anyway I am not going to argue the point, suffice to say, its no good to me, end of story. Time for a change I think.

Unless Staff have given this reason, your just making a unsupported claim, lets not do that shall we?

Incase your wondering, staff have not said this, so its just an unsupported claim thats most likely false. IPB 2.2.0 has been worked on for more then a year, during that time Vbulletin released 3.5 and more recently 3.6, people didn't even Private Beta test IPB 2.2.0 till about 5 months ago.

So lets not make claims that IPS did anything without proof alright?

I am sorry, I am a big fan of Matt watched him grow alot since his days with perl.

Unless Staff have given this reason, your just making a unsupported claim, lets not do that shall we?

Incase your wondering, staff have not said this, so its just an unsupported claim thats most likely false. IPB 2.2.0 has been worked on for more then a year, during that time Vbulletin released 3.5 and more recently 3.6, people didn't even Private Beta test IPB 2.2.0 till about 5 months ago.

So lets not make claims that IPS did anything without proof alright?

I am sorry, I am a big fan of Matt watched him grow alot since his days with perl.

Didnt make any claims without proof, suggest you read my post again, all I said was that both are now similar in a lot of cases thats all I said, you have obviously drawn your own conclusions from that, which is not what I stated. Also if you read my other posts you will see that I said that Matt was a good programmer.

So please get down from your high horse and read comments properly before you reply.

Didnt make any claims without proof, suggest you read my post again, all I said was that both are now similar in a lot of cases thats all I said, you have obviously drawn your own conclusions from that, which is not what I stated. Also if you read my other posts you will see that I said that Matt was a good programmer.

So please get down from your high horse and read comments properly before you reply.

I did read your post, lets not get personal.

Archived