W3C and SEO

Guest foppolo

4. IPB has been tested for XHTML validity and the default skin with default content passes the XHTML validator at W3C.org. ---->

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=226814

IBF 2.2. seems not to be ready to pass W3C Markup Validation Service.
Try yourself at http://validator.w3.org/ and post your comment.

I think 99,9% customers should be glad to IBF to have a working "Out Of the Box" SEO add on or something similar (maybe selecting during installation or upgrade). IBF always forget SEO and if you want to have a Forum ready to run for SEO, you have to wait unofficial mods.

Let me have your opinion, i think this should be a must have features for a product with this price range.

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEO won't be in this version.

2.2 WAS validated, however many changes have been made since I did that and it needs to be tidied up a tad bit again. We're just holding off for RC to do that - as doing it now wouldn't be all too helpful in the event more skin changes are made.

Thank You bfarber for replay. As asked by Darksane is SEO a consideration for future version, most of your competitors already released a fully SEO optimized version.

Uh, absolutely NO competitors have released an SEO optimized product. Lying will not make your request seem more important.

That said, I agree that this would be a handy addition.

Uh, absolutely NO competitors have released an SEO optimized product. Lying will not make your request seem more important.

That said, I agree that this would be a handy addition.

Its more like streching the truth, as there is a third party that has added SEO support to the one competitor I am thinking of.

Perhaps we as customers are just idiots for not thinking to do it sooner for IPB, whom ever thinks to do it now, would a good customer base for a third party producut to add SEO support...

.. Lying will not make your request seem more important...

Thank You for your post... very kind ...

That said, for a NO free product such IBF, I think this should be a must have feature, as a handy addition what about upgrade?... no komment please and be sure to connect your brain next time.

You have to take into consideration the fact that mod_rewrite only will work on sites running Linux servers, not Windows. Thus, it's sort of silly to include this feature in the base product when it won't work for everybody. If it were something like the Full Text search settings in the ACP where it would tell you if your environment allows you to use SEO, and then you can turn it on or off based on that, then that would be better.

Personally, though, I wouldn't use it. I prefer being able to see the whole query string in the URL, and I'm not obsessed with improving my SEO.

And that will achieve the same effect? I'm no expert in SEO/mod_rewrite/FURL/etc. just because it's not a high priority issue for me, but what I'd always heard was that it doesn't work on the Windows platform, so I just thought I'd throw that out there for all the people in this topic that said they need to add this. If it is in fact possible to use this method for Windows users, all the better, I'll defer to your knowledge on this issue. :)

And that will achieve the same effect? I'm no expert in SEO/mod_rewrite/FURL/etc. just because it's not a high priority issue for me, but what I'd always heard was that it doesn't work on the Windows platform, so I just thought I'd throw that out there for all the people in this topic that said they need to add this. If it is in fact possible to use this method for Windows users, all the better, I'll defer to your knowledge on this issue. :)

That's correct. ISAPI Rewrite bascally works (because it's ISAPI, and handles all requests BEFORE IIS gets to) by letting you write an INI file with regex search and replace patterns, which it applies to all incoming access attempts. It's pro version also allows you to, in that pattern, proxy the request to a different server and abort processing on the local one. I think that's pretty much a mixture of of mod_rewrite and mod_proxy.

a good url makes half of your ranking you above your competitors, so I'd say SEO-urls are pretty important. :)

But when everyone has SEO options, it will even back out.

I'm very much against SEO. Let's the search engines figure out what content is most relevant. I don't want to be tricked into visiting a site to give it more ad revenue.

Archived