PM System

Guest TCWT

Write your thoughts on the PM system. Not much changes have been done on this, why? It seems the PM system is ignored, it is a very important feature. I think it needs a major overhaul, my suggestions:

- A "replied" and "forward" status icon for the PMs that you've replied and forward to, respectively. <-- many have asked for this!!!
- A drop down menu box to select "unread pms" "read pms" "forwarded pms"
- A "Jump to folder" drop down box.
- Trash can for deleted PMs
- a "move to" drop down box in message view. I know it exists in the other PM List view.
- "mark unread" option for pms.
- lastly, this would be awesome if it's implemented - group the replies to look like topic view so it's easier to keep track and less clutter. It'd be neat to sort it this way :D

that's all for now. :cool:

Something as big as that, yes, couldnt be done now. Probably be 3.0.

But, not everything is frozen...things have changed since the beta has been updated on this corp site....like the "Add Reply" side menu. Many people complained about no smiles on the left, so it was fixed. Small things can probably be changed. Just not big things.

And yea, I am also with you. It does need an updating.

just need an option to save everyones sent PMs by default eg the check box is already ticked. If it was done it would be good to have this as a per user group setting so I can enabled it for the groups that have more PM space to accomodate all the saved messages.

The features are essentially frozen. Changes are not necessarily features, but simply updates. In this aspect, this type of feature update would require IPB to return to Alpha stages considering that the PM system is a large portion of code. So essentially, the actual software features are frozen... Not the simple polishing of existing features or additions to the already stable code.

the option to include the senders email adress as well as the PM's content in the notification email would be great... i have email at work but no internet access so in some support cases i could react sooner if i would know what the pm was about and how i could contact the sender...

-

lastly, this would be awesome if it's implemented - group the replies to look like topic view so it's easier to keep track and less clutter. It'd be neat to sort it this way

:D

I second that. :thumbsup:

A 'replied to' indicator isn't something you can really add in just a few minutes, several changes to the database and code would be needed. I don't think they're going to spend a whole lot of time in the beta adding features like that, it's probably mostly feature-complete at this point.

If I ever want to know if I replied to a PM, I just check my Sent folder. ;)

A 'replied to' indicator isn't something you can really add in just a few minutes, several changes to the database and code would be needed. I don't think they're going to spend a whole lot of time in the beta adding features like that, it's probably mostly feature-complete at this point.

If I ever want to know if I replied to a PM, I just check my Sent folder. ;)

not everyone saves outgoing messages :P and it's one too many clicks to find out o:)

Is it possible to track PMs automatically yet? I always forget to tick that bloody box. :D I remember seconds after clicking send and then of course it's too late.

I think it will take the same little template bit mod as it does now:

ACP > LOOK & FEEL > Skin Manager > {skin} > Edit Template HTML > Messenger > send_form_footer

Find

<input type="checkbox" name="add_tracking" value="1" {$default['add_tracking']}/> <b>{ipb.lang['vm_track_msg']}</b>

Replace with

<input type="checkbox" checked name="add_tracking" value="1" {$default['add_tracking']}/> <b>{ipb.lang['vm_track_msg']}</b>

Cheers,
Rick

I think it will take the same little template bit mod as it does now:

Find

[b]{ipb.lang['vm_track_msg']}[/b]

Replace with

[b]{ipb.lang['vm_track_msg']}[/b]

Cheers,
Rick

Congratulations. You just broke the XHTML compliance of the skin. What you would really use is checked="checked" which will automatically check the box while still being compliant with XHTML standard.

The cool part is that when quoting your post, I get actual checkboxes in place of your HTML code in the
 blocks. (and the software removes them)

To set both checkboxes (Add a copy & Track this message) while retaining compliance with XHTML: prop4ta.gif

ACP > LOOK & FEEL > Skin Manager > {skin} > Edit Template HTML > Messenger > send_form_footer

Find

<input type="checkbox" name="add_sent" value="yes" {$default['add_sent']}/> <b>{ipb.lang['auto_sent_add']}</b>
     <br />
     <input type="checkbox" name="add_tracking" value="1" {$default['add_tracking']}/> <b>{ipb.lang['vm_track_msg']}</b>

Replace with

<input type="checkbox" checked="checked" name="add_sent" value="yes" {$default['add_sent']}/> <b>{ipb.lang['auto_sent_add']}</b>
     <br />
     <input type="checkbox" checked="checked" name="add_tracking" value="1" {$default['add_tracking']}/> <b>{ipb.lang['vm_track_msg']}</b>

Thanks Kyanar, and glad to help lupin84.

Rick

Archived