Skins

Guest theclub

What information will Invision be giving to skinners prior to the full release?

After a quick look around l see a few things that will render 2.1.x skins unusable.

l think IPB should acknowledge the debt they owe to skinners and modders, and give them information needed to upgrade before new versions are released.

:)

Skins are designed to work with the current version of the software at the time.

Most skinners stipulate that it may not even work with different minor point releases. :)

Getting all worked up and blabbing about debts to modders and skinners is quite unnecessary, as it is not their responsiblity that we like to customize their product. :P

If/when they feel it is appropriate to release template/code changes they can, otherwise it's up to us to dive in and figure it out on our own (lilke we did when we started ;) ).

awwwwwwwww... IPB..... I just created my very first skin and now I am about to work all over again. Will there be another CSS Skinning guide for 2.2 some where out there when 2.2 goes LIVE?

I don't believe that they are going to make any major skin changes soon, so you should be fine.

Getting all worked up and blabbing about debts to modders and skinners is quite unnecessary, as it is not their responsiblity that we like to customize their product. :P

Was it really necessary to be rude, just because you have a different opinion?

One of the main reasons people choose IPB is the ability to customise and the availability of modifications.

These are not supplied by Invision, but by third parties, and, as such, Invision owes these people a debt, whether you like it or not.

Will the Skin Differences tool in the ACP still function to allow us to at least know what all the template changes were? I'm not worried about having to do dozens of template changes to update my skins, but I want to at least make sure I can find specifically what I need to update.

He wasn't being rude. You'll know when he's being rude.

One of the main reasons people choose IPB is the ability to customise and the availability of modifications.

Where do you get this bit of information? Is this conjecture or do you actually have facts to back up your statement?

These are not supplied by Invision, but by third parties, and, as such,

Invision owes these people a debt, whether you like it or not.
By that stretch of logic, AMD and Intel owe me a debt because of all the overclocking I've done. :lol:

In other words, you cannot back up anything you say. Thought so.

What's your problem? You post here with the sole intention of being a smartarse and you expect a reply?

l came on here to ask a perfectly legitimate question, and give a perfectly legitimate opinion, what business is it of yours?

None? Thought so.

All Invision is obligated to do is provide a functioning viable product in a base level. If you decide to modify it you except responsibility to the operation of your site, not Invision.

And who has said otherwise? Or are you also claiming that modders and skinners have had nothing to do with the success of IPB?

These are not supplied by Invision, but by third parties, and, as such, Invision owes these people a debt, whether you like it or not.

I can't help but feel the irony that the person you're snapping at is one of the few dedicated skinners, and one of IPS' preferred custom modification providers.

Your comments really are coming off quite abrasive, perhaps you might want to cool down a bit.

There are always people that think that if a company provides a service, that they have defined to there standards, and someone comes along and provides an addition that enhances that product, then the company is obligated to include the third party in all future events. That's not how it is in the real world. You provide a service/modification to a present product in the third party setting it is your responsibility to maintain your product. Now in a perfect world your ideal on inclusion would be ideal, but not practical. But if I know Matt the details will be filtered out in time.

He wasn't being rude. You'll know when he's being rude.

And enter rudeness. :)

What's your problem? You post here with the sole intention of being a smartarse and you expect a reply?

l came on here to ask a perfectly legitimate question, and give a perfectly legitimate opinion, what business is it of yours?

None? Thought so.

No, you don't ask a "perfectly legitimate question", nor give a legitimate opinion. It's horribly biased to the side of laziness, and you're expecting something that is totally unnecessary.

Once you modify the board, as simple a change that a skin makes, or as in depth as totally reworking the sources/action_public/boards.php file, IPS IS NOT OBLIGATED TO YOU FOR ANYTHING YOU HAVE DONE. Simple.

If you had a problem, they'll say, "Sorry, but you've modified boards.php, if you would like, we will restore it for you."

"Sorry, the functionality is there in the default skin, if you revert the template changes of the custom one, functionality should be restored."

They're not going to reply with "Oh, I see you've made some changes to IPB. Let us troubleshoot them with you and show you exactly what you need to do to make it work how you intended."

This silly idea that you're owed anything for your customizations is beyond ridiculous. The only thing you are "owed" is a 100% (or as close as possible) working DEFAULT installation.

Well done MetalFrog, you have managed to fit more misrepresentation, and more irrelevant crap into one post than any other on here.

Let's recap ...

What information will Invision be giving to skinners prior to the full release?

That is a perfectly legitimate question.

l think IPB should acknowledge the debt they owe to skinners and modders, and give them information needed to upgrade before new versions are released.

That is a perfectly legitimate opinion.

Getting all worked up and blabbing about debts to modders and skinners is quite unnecessary,

That is rude.

All the rest of the rubbish in your post is quite irrelevant, it has nothing to do with me, and is a pathetic attempt by you to big-note yourself. Well l'm not impressed, and l doubt anyone else is.

It's the ignore button for you.

Archived