Suggestion: Add ability to resume attachment downloads, ffter connecti

Guest Vitaly

For now, if I download big attachment from forum/blog/gallery and connection was proken, then I need to start all from scratch, even when use file downloaders. That's very inconvenient for large files and users with slow connections.

I think, it worth to implement processing of range and partial content requests for attachments.

That's not a big problem. Here is good working example, to think about: http://pear.php.net/package/HTTP_Download

• 1 year later...

It's not that "easy" to implement. ;)

It IS available in IP.Downloads however. It *may* be possible to carry the code over to IPB. There's no need for it in Gallery (since Gallery only deals with images which you wouldn't need to resume download of).

I'm asking not for images, of couse. My visitors often upload big videos at the forum. I have no habbit to speak about impossible things. First message contains an example (not the best, but...). Another example can be found in EZ Publish (I use this CMS at my site).

IFAIK, a lot of serious projects implement such feature. I'll be glad, if IPB developpers will pay more attention to this point.

It's not a problem for me to buy IP.Downloads license, but it would be nice to have "resume downloads" for all IPS products.

Regards,

Vitaly.

I'm asking not for images, of couse. My visitors often upload big videos at the forum.

Problem is, this doesn't work for uploads - I've no idea how it would be implemented for uploads in fact (because PHP kills the temporary upload if it's not properly processed). Downloading a video shouldn't be a problem I'd think, since it's streamed usually?

Archived