v2.1.4 in .gz format

Guest rct2·com

I don't get what the real difference is....both are compressed file formats and really .zip is supported by more pcs anyways. :blink:

To address the question, I believe the change is only temporary to reduce the load on our servers during the high volume right after upgrades are released.

You can unzip a zip file on the server, a lot easier than a tar.gz also.

Unzip a zip:
unzip filename.zip

To unzip a tar.gz:
gunzip filename.tar.gz
tar -xvf filename.tar

As you can see, it takes longer for the tar.gz, and both compression methods are supported on both windows and linux. Therefore it doesn't really make a different

What differnce does it make regarding the compression format?

For me, it used to be the case that the .zip format had to be unzipped under windoze then uploaded. This took longer and produced files and folders that were the incorrect CHMOD. I don't have shell access and believe that the CPanel I am using only supports gunzip.

But it is a long time since I checked as I've ALWAYS used the .tar.gz formats since InVision began to make them available.

I'll give it a try.

like rct2dotcom said, GZ preserves the proper CHMOD permissions. I do have shell access, so it is not a huge issue for me to unzip, but GZ would be a better format. This is for admins with shell access and just want an install NOW without all the other fluff and files outside the /upload folder.
IPS is hoping to gain corporate accounts, give the admins the bare bones download, they don't need filler.

For me, it used to be the case that the .zip format had to be unzipped under windoze then uploaded. This took longer and produced files and folders that were the incorrect CHMOD. I don't have shell access and believe that the CPanel I am using only supports gunzip.

But it is a long time since I checked as I've ALWAYS used the .tar.gz formats since InVision began to make them available.

I'll give it a try.

like rct2dotcom said, GZ preserves the proper CHMOD permissions. I do have shell access, so it is not a huge issue for me to unzip, but GZ would be a better format. This is for admins with shell access and just want an install NOW without all the other fluff and files outside the /upload folder.

IPS is hoping to gain corporate accounts, give the admins the bare bones download, they don't need filler.

Thanks for the support Coastie. If I was InVision, it would be .gz first, .zip after. Not the other way around.

Anyways, my current CPanel supports .zip format used by InVision. So at least I can upload the zipped file. After unzipping, at first sght, every file is CHMOD 644 and every folder is CHMOD 755.

• 1 year later...

Archived