Add Skype in User Cards

Guest Masta2002

Skype isn't big enough for its own profile field.

There are, however, pre-made modifications that enable you to put additional profile fields in...

I disagree, I'd like to see this added and the option to remove msn/aim/icq no one ever uses these fields on my forum..

I disagree, I'd like to see this added and the option to remove msn/aim/icq no one ever uses these fields on my forum..

And I'd have to disagree with your disagreeal. I use AIM/MSN and I have thsoe spaces filled in my profile but not with my AIM or MSN names or e-mails but something else.
Now what if we had the option to remove or add one's we don't use or use. Like I have a yahoo/ICQ (I think) but they "take" up space in my profile; I ©(s)hould have the option to remove them from my profile.

And I'd have to disagree with your disagreeal. I use AIM/MSN and I have thsoe spaces filled in my profile but not with my AIM or MSN names or e-mails but something else.

Now what if we had the option to remove or add one's we don't use or use. Like I have a yahoo/ICQ (I think) but they "take" up space in my profile; I

• 8 months later...

How about instead of debating which network is biggest, we request the option to choose what network links are provided? Most of the users on Neowin use MSN. But there are other that might use something like XFire or Google Talk, which are less popular networks. It's whatever is relevant to the particular board's community. And as a result, we should be able to customize our boards appropriately without having to hack things.

Of course, you could always change the graphics and language files to make one of the existing networks read as Skype without having to hack anything ;)

The simple solution is to for IPB to create an image based on the custom fields, it of course would have default text, I am almost sure you can create and apply graphic effects to an image file within PHP, at least I know you can do this in C#.

I agree, they should be fields the admin chooses, and the images ( would be a limit to make the layout to the skin simple ), additional fields could be added by editing the skin ( you could add additional fields, but they would not appear in the post itself like they do now ).

• 2 weeks later...

The simple solution is to for IPB to create an image based on the custom fields, it of course would have default text, I am almost sure you can create and apply graphic effects to an image file within PHP, at least I know you can do this in C#.

I agree, they should be fields the admin chooses, and the images ( would be a limit to make the layout to the skin simple ), additional fields could be added by editing the skin ( you could add additional fields, but they would not appear in the post itself like they do now ).

Or just allow a file upload/URL field for the icon when adding a new custom field...

The problem with the custom field option as it currently stands is that it then places the skype field separate to the other communication addresses (eg, AIM, AOL, ICQ, Yahoo) and it doesn't appear in the user's card, just in the user's profile page.

I think there are no so many networks for people to belong to that the only sensible option is to have the contact options very customisable, either by the admin or the user.

Now customisable by the user would be cool.
Obviously the admin would have to have pre-selected lots of networks so the images are there, but then the user could select which ones they actually use. That would be much better than 4 fields showing "No Information" which looks quite tacky.

• 1 month later...

Archived