Reliable Banning !

Guest bwyatt

I would really love it if a future release would have realiable banning systems. Simple thing is: When you ban someone, they dont stay banned and always return. IP banning always fails because of people with dynamic addresses.

I dont know how you can exactly do this, but it would be nice if you could give it a try.

If people have dynamic IP addresses, create different email accounts and forum accounts, then no, there isn't anything you can do to stop them via the board. A ban should be used as a system to get rid of someone who won't go away - if they keep comming back, you'd be best advised to send a email to the offender's ISP.

I have the same problem, the person keeps changing IP providers and using proxy providers. No way to get rid of the person legally. I am a total nutcase over this because of what the person has done to me. I am at the point of getting rid of the board completely and that infuriates me, but for my mental and physical health, I can't deal with the person any longer.

:luck:

You could make a group that can bypass moderation,
then change all current members to the group that bypasses moderation,
then set the forums to moderate messages, then when new members post messages you can approve the messages and change the member's group to the group that can bypass moderation, if their posts are not abusive.
Then if a member tries to post "bad" posts you can set their group back to the moderated group.
If they just sign up for another membership then they will be back in the moderated message sequence again.
Over the years I did this with previous message board software and now use this idea with invisionboard software. I hope all goes well for you!

The best way I find to ban persistent ban evaders is to make sure email validation is on, then ban all the the free email providers you can think of, you can use wild cards on domain banning too, so ban *@hotmail.com, *@yahoo.com etc. If he uses a diffrent one you havn't heard of, ban that too. Having to register a new email address is time consuming as it is, but if he can't do it using a free provider hes going to run out of places to get a new address pretty soon. After a few months when hes lost interest you can remove the free email bans.

Of course this has the effect of stoping new legit users from signing up with a free address, but imo its a small price to pay.

If people have dynamic IP addresses, create different email accounts and forum accounts, then no, there isn't anything you can do to stop them via the board. A ban should be used as a system to get rid of someone who won't go away - if they keep comming back, you'd be best advised to send a email to the offender's ISP.

How would you know which ISP to send the complaint to if the member is using a proxy? How about requiring the running of an ActiveX control at registration time that detects and records unique characteristics from the user's computer?

How would you know which ISP to send the complaint to if the member is using a proxy? How about requiring the running of an ActiveX control at registration time that detects and records unique characteristics from the user's computer?

This encroaches quite badly on privacy laws if you ask me. You'd have to make the user fully aware of what's going on (and I'm not entirely sure what information can be gathered through an activex control at that, not to mention they only work in IE last I checked).

Banning is always a sore spot. IP banning is the best method, however as you've illustrated, it's impossible to IP ban a lot of users because they have dynamic IPs.

This encroaches quite badly on privacy laws if you ask me. You'd have to make the user fully aware of what's going on (and I'm not entirely sure what information can be gathered through an activex control at that, not to mention they only work in IE last I checked).

Banning is always a sore spot. IP banning is the best method, however as you've illustrated, it's impossible to IP ban a lot of users because they have dynamic IPs.

I guess the best option is to put all new members into a premod group until a moderator has a chance to review their posts.

Banning based upon mac address isn't perfect but would solve the problem with less saavy users who would not know how to get around it.

Another thing that should be done is the registration system should look for the existence of a cookie containing a previous login ID. Again, not fool proof but still one of many options that might help. Also, it would allow tracking people who sign up with more than one account.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing that should be done is the registration system should look for the existence of a cookie containing a previous login ID. Again, not fool proof but still one of many options that might help. Also, it would allow tracking people who sign up with more than one account.

one of the best ideas i've heared in ages...

• 1 month later...

The problem is that you do not actually have access to any useful unique information. (Not even MAC address by the way... banning by that would only result in you banning the last router between the offender and you. Guess what, that's YOUR router. I see this misconception far too often. MAC addresses cannot be used). The best you could likely do is install an ActiveX control (whoops, Windows is suddenly your only supported OS for a FORUM), or (I like this idea) SMS validation. Sure, the offender can go out and get 60 email addresses to spam you, but good luck getting 60 cellphones!

That will tell about creation and support of black-lists of anonymous proxies-servers which infringers often use. IPS could hold such database, and clients to use it, as it is done concerning for example bad mail-relays

misery just does things to annoy the user, like slow down the response time of the server etc. i personally think its pointless, and i wouldn't sign up to a forum that uses it. also anyone who causes trouble will just log out and create a new registration, it wouldn't hinder them in the slightest.

Archived