Components & Languages issue...

Guest Dan

This isn't technically classed as a 'bug', but there is an issue with the new component links option for adding a link in the global board header.

The default IPS components (for example, blog) use {ipb.lang['blog']} in their 'com_url_title' field in the components table. This correlates with $lang['blog'] taken from lang_global.php. Which means that when the language setting is changed, the titles of these component links will be changed as well.

The issue is that as {ipb.lang[' ']} does not take into account other / custom language files that module authors send out with their components, there is no way for those components to have language-ready auto links.

Whilst it's nothing major, it could be a bit of a problem. :)

This is not a bug in IPB but is more of a feature suggestion.

Ok then, but it would still be nice to see added / fixed. :D

• 1 year later...

-PLEASE CAN WE HAVE THIS CHANGE-

Instead of loading all the language files, it would be much easier to allow an additional option like:

{ips.vars['varname']}

And instead of loading additional language files (Which is just a waste IMO), load a variable from the cache which would have been set through the settings screen?

Wow, way to bump a 16 month old topic for something not even related to the original request. ;)

It may be 16 month old, but it's such a simple request??? And how is this unrelated? On the components page I want to see the option of being able to have {ips.vars['varname']} instead of having to get the user to make edits to their global_lang file, or to "Manage Components" menu bit...

And where are you getting that all the language files are loaded? Cuz they never are...

Errrm... :ermm: I never said that - Dan C requested that it be added to the {ipb.lang[' ']} set - Which would required scanning through a lot more language files - I asked for it to be based on the settings cache....

So.... Now I've justified my claim, any chance we could have this tiny coder-friendly feature added to the mass distribution package?

Oh yeah - One more thing beings as you wanted to have a moan about bringing up old threads, IPB has prune and search for a reason - Why should I go making a ton of new topics for something that has already been requested????

Oh yeah - One more thing beings as you wanted to have a moan about bringing up old threads, IPB has prune and search for a reason - Why should I go making a ton of new topics for something that has already been requested????

Because it's generally frowned upon at this community if you bump a thread this old.

Actually, guys, I agree with RC-Extreme. If there is already a topic on the same feature suggestion, even if it is 16 months old, I'd prefer you bump it rather than suggest something that has already been suggested. One of these days I'm going to muster up the courage to go through this forum and kill out all the features that have been added and try to perform some organization in here (sifting through 80+ pages of feature suggestions is grueling), but in the mean time, search a suggestion before you add it. :)

I don't see a whole lot of need to add ipb.vars[''] support. You can use the language api file to add strings to lang_global during your mod's installation routine, so right that that should be sufficient. Then just use ipb.lang[''] in the component page.

Archived