PM display as threads

Guest Coastie

I'd like to see PMs display as threads, with replies just as they are in topics rather than quote after quote. It would be easy to tell them apart from a normal thread as the left side menu would still remain on screen. That would be an excellent addition.

All in all it might even save a little space in the DB as only one copy would need to be retained that both members could view.

• 1 year later...

I'd much rather have them be topic style. As an admin, I get far too many PM's that leave me scratching my head trying to figure out what was said before. A thread would solve that problem. I miss it from UBB.Classic days.

While I'm not exactly sure how such private threads would work, I would like to suggest something a bit different but similar to this idea. I think I've seen it on a SMF forum.

So, the idea is to see all PMs as one thread. Meaning, I can see the text of all the PMs on one page (or - if you have 100 PMs, for example, you could see it on 2 pages - 50 messages per page). Thus it becomes much more foreseeable, in my opinion. I don't have to open each message separately to know (to remember) what's inside.

This would help greatly especially considering that members are lazy in thinking and writing meaningful message titles. Also, I think this should not be too hard to implement (contrary to a whole new system of private threads, probably?).

All in all it might even save a

little

space in the DB as only one copy would need to be retained that both members could view.

You mean if a member chooses to save a copy of the sent PM? (As if they don't, the message is only available to the receiver - one copy.) If I'm not mistaken, even if the sender saves a copy of the PM, it is still stored in the DB as one message. So, that would not be a problem. :)

The problem with this is if you were cc'ing the PM to more than one person. Different private conversations can sprout from one pm that's cc'd to other people. If you had a private thread and gave other people permission to view it, then all the others would be aware of the whole conversation (although in some instances that would be useful).

So where this might be useful by itself, I just dont see it replacing the PM system. Only complaint I have with the current PM system is quotes breaking... But I think that'll be fixed... Atleast I hope it is >_<

The problem with this is if you were cc'ing the PM to more than one person. Different private conversations can sprout from one pm that's cc'd to other people. If you had a private thread and gave other people permission to view it, then all the others would be aware of the whole conversation

Luke, and what about my suggestion?

Luke, and what about

my

suggestion?

Hehe... What I say has no bearing on what will happen :)

But again, I dont see it happening because (referring to your idea) there's no way to link the whole conversation together unless you used the topic title like google does :whistle:

I'm not thinking about PM conversations somehow linked together, which would be like some private threads.

My suggestion was merely about the display mode of the PMs. No matter who has sent what and with what titles, simply sort all PMs by date (or by the sender) and show them all on one page (or several pages). Like I would have opened them all at once and they are listed similar to posts of one thread.

I think the PM threads should be topic based, just shown pms on 1 page which relate all to the same conversation topic (not mix them up with others), but show only those pms in which you were to'ed or cc'ed. I honostly don't see the problem. :)

Archived