Store Subscriptions in v5

Hi everyone.

Since physical products are being deprecated in the upcoming v5 version, I would like to know if there will be any improvements to the subscriptions feature in the Store app.

In my community, we are using a custom application as a replacement for the default store application because there are some unavailable features for subscriptions that we need to support, such as:

• Possibility to add a description to a subscription.
  • Different subscription durations with different prices for each.
    • For example: 7 days -> $X, 15 days -> $Y, 30 days (and subsequent renewals) -> $Z
  • Custom fields for each subscription type.
    • Optional: Custom logic depending on fields values.
  • Add a discount/gift card code at the "Confirm & Pay" stage.
  • Optional: Custom formatting in subscription names.

We're getting closer to the new version, and we're evaluating whether to migrate our custom store development to the new version or start using the default store app. I know there aren't many possibilities of implementing all of those items, but we want to be prepared before upgrading our community (there is a lot of work to do!).

Thank you.

11 hours ago, shiobi said:

Possibility to add a description to a subscription.

This is currently possible in V4:

Could contain: Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

Different subscription durations with different prices for each.

• For example: 7 days -> $X, 15 days -> $Y, 30 days (and subsequent renewals) -> $Z

This is possible, just each duration would be a new subscription. Alternatively, you could use products which allow this in one renewable product.

Add a discount/gift card code at the "Confirm & Pay" stage.

Our checkout page for all items is also used for Subscriptions and this is possible in V4. It will be expanded upon for V5.

Optional: Custom formatting in subscription names.

What kind of formatting are you wanting to see? This can already be done via your theme.

6 hours ago, Jim M said:

This is possible, just each duration would be a new subscription. Alternatively, you could use products which allow this in one renewable product.

This needs to be simplified on V5 so users receive a discount if they decide to go for yearly plan instead of monthly on the same subscription. A lot of websites do this now.

12 hours ago, David.. said:

This needs to be simplified on V5 so users receive a discount if they decide to go for yearly plan instead of monthly on the same subscription. A lot of websites do this now.

Feel; free to add this as a feedback item if you wish to see changes in this area

Hi again!

On 7/14/2024 at 10:11 AM, Jim M said:

This is currently possible in V4:

Oops, my bad! I overlooked it, haha.

Yes, but as David said, merging into a single subscription would be great. Also, isn't the products feature going to be deprecated? Sorry, I haven't used the Commerce app previously.

What kind of formatting are you wanting to see? This can already be done via your theme.

The same way as formatting group names.

I know that I can use CSS to customize different things across the community. However, keeping in mind that customizations are more limited in v5, I don't know if we will be able to customize only the name of the subscription. For example, instead of showing 'VIP' in each instance the subscription is shown, you could show it as 'VIP'.

Subscriptions are an excellent way to keep our communities alive (at least in our case, we are surviving with that approach), implying that more internal marketing = more money.

2 minutes ago, shiobi said:

Yes, but as David said, merging into a single subscription would be great. Also, isn't the products feature going to be deprecated? Sorry, I haven't used the Commerce app previously.

Only physical products that need to be shipped are deprecated (e.g. we're taking out the shipping portion of products).

3 minutes ago, shiobi said:

I know that I can use CSS to customize different things across the community. However, keeping in mind that customizations are more limited in v5, I don't know if we will be able to customize only the name of the subscription. For example, instead of showing 'VIP' in each instance the subscription is shown, you could show it as 'VIP'.

Emojis can already be used in names. Themes would be the way to go to change any font coloring, etc... Theme customization will still be around in V5, it just is changing. Ultimately, the HTML will be more robust so customizing via CSS will be easier than V4. Wouldn't get too scared about any changes. Customizing your community theme is still a big part of V5.

As Marc mentioned though, anything that isn't in the software, you're welcome to create a Feedback topic for 🙂 .