Getting 404 errors on javascript files that load through js.php

Posted (edited)

I created a topic last year about the status update widget not working. When users click the "What's on your mind" box to type in a status, it stays stuck on "Loading". I finally made some time this weekend to try and get this fixed. After digging around more into this, I noticed the error is a 404 for the ckeditor.js file being loaded through js.php. I verified the file existed (I could load it by going directly to the ckeditor.js file), verified permissions (755), verified user and owner as the same one being used for everything else. 

With the console open I noticed that other javascript files that load through js.php were also giving a 404 (and that lines up with users complaining about not being able to upload images in certain areas, as well as not easily update statuses). 

Could contain: Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Text, Page, Chart, Plot

I verified that the js.php file was there (even uploaded a new copy from a download just to be sure), and verified those other js files also existed. 

However, when I try loading the file via the js.php I get a 404 error. 

Looking at the apache error_log I see this

"End of script output before headers: js.php, referer: domain.com" 

The things I found online for that error suggested file permissions, I'm not sure what other files I might be missing, but most files are 755. Some inside the js folder was originally 644 and I changed them to 755 to test. 

Any other ideas about what I could be missing here? 

Edited by scatteredbomb

Issues on the status update widget are a known issue there is an open bug for at present. Its worth noting however, these are a deprecated item and will no longer be available in version 5

15 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Issues on the status update widget are a known issue there is an open bug for at present. Its worth noting however, these are a deprecated item and will no longer be available in version 5

I'm also seeing this same 404 error with other javascript related file such as the widget editor and ckeditor. When I login as admin and I click the widgets tab on the left side of the screen (so I can add/remove widgets), it also gives the same 404 for js.php with the same error_log notice of "End of script output before headers: js.php, referer: domain.com"

Please try clearing cache by visiting Support in the top right of your admin CP, then selecting clear cache. If you are then still experiencing the same issue let us know

14 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please try clearing cache by visiting Support in the top right of your admin CP, then selecting clear cache. If you are then still experiencing the same issue let us know

I have tried clearing the cache, no luck. 

On 7/4/2024 at 4:54 AM, Marc St said:

You appear still to have the status widget which is known to be an issue. Are you having those issues when you remove that?

Is there some other way to remove it besides the widget tool? I'm getting a 404 for the widget js file as well which also uses the js.php file. 

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone comes into this issue, it seems to be a permission issue on the /applications folder. I couldn't figure out exactly where or why. But deleting the entire /applications folder and re-uploading fixed the issue. 

8 minutes ago, scatteredbomb said:

In case anyone comes into this issue, it seems to be a permission issue on the /applications folder. I couldn't figure out exactly where or why. But deleting the entire /applications folder and re-uploading fixed the issue. 

Possibly owner user/group permissions on it or the recursive directory were causing issues but glad to hear it's working and thanks for commenting on what it was.