Galleries - Questions and maybe suggestions?

Hey all,

I'm new to the gallery module and the manual on this topic is pretty brief. Hoping some of you guys in the know might be able to help fill in some blanks for me.

I understand the basic role / function the gallery module has - to allow for the posting of photos and videos. Seems to be a sort of different view on online community sharing and discussion where the photo / video takes the lead, with comments and discussion following (versus the other way around for most standard forum posting / commenting). I gather that we can organize photo / video uploads by preconfigured categories (albums) as well as some standard configuration that are largely centered on group permissions.

I was expecting once I installed the gallery module, that all the photos uploaded previously by users would appear in that users member gallery, so my first question is if that's possible? Perhaps a configuration or some admin maintenance so that the system indexes all uploads and adds to a members gallery or something?

Assuming the above is possible, the next logical assumption to propagating our gallery would be to be able to go through and bulk categorize / organize all image / video uploads somehow so that all those assets that were ever posted to our forum via member uploads in posts are added to our gallery / album so it isn't starting empty from scratch.

Anyhow, the gallery is an interesting feature I've ignored for a long time, but now that we migrated to Invision Cloud and have access to all modules, I'm revisiting it. 

Just hoping to get a little more insight since I'm not finding some features that I was expecting.

Thanks

Oh yeah, quick link to this module for those that are new... https://invisioncommunity.com/features/gallery/

11 hours ago, superaven said:

I was expecting once I installed the gallery module, that all the photos uploaded previously by users would appear in that users member gallery, so my first question is if that's possible? Perhaps a configuration or some admin maintenance so that the system indexes all uploads and adds to a members gallery or something?

Im not sure what photos you would be expecting to show up there. If the gallery was not previously installed, users have not uploaded any. Im assuming you are referring to attachments they may have uploaded in forums etc. If so then no. The only items that will show in the gallery are items that are uploaded in the gallery.

I think your confusion here is in thinking the gallery will somehow grab any image that has been uploaded anywhere, and that is not the case. It's a separate item from attachments in the community