Bulk Mail does not send mail

WebCMS

On Bulk Mail, I checked the Member Filters (it does show some members who will receive the mail) and clicked Save. Then clicked Proceed. This I did over 6 hours ago but Bulk Mail list still shows "Not Started" under Sent On and Time Taken columns and "0 Members" under Sent To.

How long does it take to send out the email?

On CiC

The Bulk Mail runs on a background task in the queue. However, your queue currently is flooded with third party application tasks that seem to be failing or otherwise not completing, thus stopping any future tasks from completing.

You can see this in ACP -> System -> Dashboard -> expand "Background Processes". You will need to contact the author for assistance.

I see many errors under System Logs -

admin/?app=core&module=support&controller=systemLogs&sortby=time&sortby=time&sortdirection=desc

Repeated Log Entries: Fix this (badly formed input)

Most of them are hive errors. However, I disabled Community Hive long ago and not sure why hive processes are still being executed,

hive_error

hive_content_removal LogicException badly formatted input

uncaught exception No such key

spam-service

template_error UnderflowException while saving theme template

value1

value0

value-3

value: 1

etc.

(no errors from Chatbox+)

After clearing some task queues for Chatbox+, Bulk Mail ran and now it shows -

"54 years and 27 days" under Time Taken column

Under what circumstances can the Bulk Mail run for twice? Because I received the bulk emails twice on a test account.

8 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

Under what circumstances can the Bulk Mail run for twice? Because I received the bulk emails twice on a test account.

You would need to ensure that you don't have an email address in there which is routed to the same email address as it should not be sent twice to the same address. This also could be an issue with the errors from the third party application still building up in the queue system.

40 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You would need to ensure that you don't have an email address in there which is routed to the same email address as it should not be sent twice to the same address. This also could be an issue with the errors from the third party application still building up in the queue system.

The bulk email template is the same as the default one with slight mods (however, no email address is included in the template). Since the bulk mail was not sending out emails, I clicked Proceed button twice yesterday to see if it works but it did not (until today). Was this the reason for duplicate email? It also doubled the number of recipients under "Sent To" column so it means everyone received the bulk mail twice.

There are only 2 items now under Background Processes saying "Deleting Chatbox+ messages" (nothing else).

Edited by WebCMS

Yes, if you edited and resent the bulk email while it was sending it would send again. 

37 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

There are only 2 items now under Background Processes saying "Deleting Chatbox+ messages" (nothing else).

You would need to get this resolved by the author. 

37 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You would need to get this resolved by the author. 

Already resolved by dev today with a new update to run Chatbox+ background processes once a day instead of once every 30 minutes and a few more optimizations like deleting erroneous prior tasks before adding new tasks.

• 6 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/28/2024 at 8:00 AM, Jim M said:

The Bulk Mail runs on a background task in the queue. However, your queue currently is flooded with third party application tasks that seem to be failing or otherwise not completing, thus stopping any future tasks from completing.

You can see this in ACP -> System -> Dashboard -> expand "Background Processes". You will need to contact the author for assistance.

Currently, there are zero background processes but the Bulk Mail sent yesterday hasn't arrived yet as I'm in the mailing list too. What could be the reason?

It gave "Cancel" icon after clicking Send and after a while switched to "Not Started" and the icon at the end shows "Resend". Is there a place to view history of Bulk Mail sends and to who? How do we know if the mails were sent out or stuck somewhere?

How to send out a fresh Bulk Mail to newer members without resending to the ones who were sent recently? There is a "Member Joined" filter which will not be accurate as some members could be older and some newer on the same day from the Bulk Mail sent time point of view. There is no filter to exclude members who were mailed recently like in the last 14 days.

Edited by WebCMS

Posted (edited)

Still haven't received the bulk mail sent out yesterday,.

Is there a way to schedule Bulk Mail sends to automate it instead of sending manually? Every software I've seen has options to schedule such tasks to make them happen automatically without human intervention

Edited by WebCMS

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jim M said:

Was the bulk mail finalized and sent? I don't see that is was. Do you mind if I send it again?

I saved the email body and then it prompted, Continue Editing or Proceed with 50 recipients (including myself) matching the filters. I clicked Proceed and it went back to bulk mail listing page showing "Cancel" icon on the bulk mail row. After a while it changed to "Not Started" with Resend option.

I did not see a Finalize step other than the above. Please clarify steps..

is there a page to view Bulk Mail send history and send statuses?

Is there a way to schedule Bulk Mail sends to automate it instead of sending manually? Every software I've seen has options to schedule such tasks to make them happen automatically without human intervention.

Please go ahead and send it again.

Edited by WebCMS

On 8/21/2024 at 7:36 AM, Jim M said:

Was the bulk mail finalized and sent? I don't see that is was. Do you mind if I send it again?

Is there an issue with the Bulk Mail module? Emails have not arrived even after 3 days.

is there a page to view Bulk Mail send history and send statuses? How would we know if the mails went out, how many, when and to who without a tracking report?

Is there a way to schedule Bulk Mail sends to automate it instead of sending manually? Every software I've seen has options to schedule such tasks to make them happen automatically without human intervention.

On 8/23/2024 at 6:57 AM, Jim M said:

I sent your bulk mail and it sent within a minute:

Could contain: Text

Is there an issue with the Bulk Mail module? Some emails have not arrived even 2 days after you sent.

1) In the past and also 5 days ago, when I finished the steps "Continue" and "Proceed", it always showed "Cancel" icon on the Bulk Mail index page and after a while, it said "Not started" and the emails never got sent out. But when you sent it, it worked and some emails arrived but a couple of test accounts have not received the bulk mail yet (their Newsletter option is set to Email).

2) I created a copy of the Bulk Mail targeting admins and it worked.

This is not consistent. Is there anything else other than Continue and Proceed steps? Because the same steps on the copy of the bulk mail (#2 above) worked for me but did not on #1 above (I did not retry #1 to avoid spamming members as you already sent it).

Bulk Mail is a marketing module and it needs to work rock solid.

16 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

Is there an issue with the Bulk Mail module? Some emails have not arrived even 2 days after you sent.

Keep in mind that email delivery is a tricky thing and also has factors beyond our control when it comes to it (i.e. email provider blocked the email, email inbox is full, email address was typed incorrectly, email address is disabled, etc..). They could also be blocked from our system because they reported an email spam. There are quite a few reasons beyond just the software. Without an email, I can't really give you an answer.

16 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

This is not consistent. Is there anything else other than Continue and Proceed steps? Because the same steps on the copy of the bulk mail (#2 above) worked for me but did not on #1 above (I did not retry #1 to avoid spamming members as you already sent it).

As mentioned, the logs show you did not send and complete that process. You will need to ensure it goes through the whole process without error to send.

Unfortunately, we're both unable to reproduce any issues here so I would just recommend watching it.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Keep in mind that email delivery is a tricky thing and also has factors beyond our control when it comes to it (i.e. email provider blocked the email, email inbox is full, email address was typed incorrectly, email address is disabled, etc..). They could also be blocked from our system because they reported an email spam. There are quite a few reasons beyond just the software. Without an email, I can't really give you an answer.

As mentioned, the logs show you did not send and complete that process. You will need to ensure it goes through the whole process without error to send.

Unfortunately, we're both unable to reproduce any issues here so I would just recommend watching it.

Hi @Jim M I followed Continue and Proceed and did not find anything more than that. After clicking Proceed, it goes back to the Bulk Mail index page. Not sure why it displayed "Cancel" icon on the Bulk Mail index page after clicking Proceed and later switched to "Not started" with an option to "Resend". Unfortunately, I did not take screenshots.

I checked the Gmail of the 2 test member accounts including Inbox, Spam, Trash, All Mail folders and nothing received yet. These are brand new Gmail accounts validated with the site and no issues like inbox full or getting reported as spam. I get other notifications from the site to these accounts fine. The last email received on these test accounts was on Aug 10 with the subject line, "Did this answer your question?"

How can I PM you the usernames of these 2 accounts? I find your messaging is disabled.