PHP sessions error when upgrading

Neuro
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hello everyone.

So I ran the upgrader today and got this:

"The upgrader uses PHP sessions to store data, however PHP sessions are currently not working correctly on your server. This is an issue you will need to contact your host about.":

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text

I contacted my webhost and they have batted it back to me:

I reviewed the server's Apache error log as well as your account's local error log, but neither indicated any errors relating to sessions. Furthermore, the existent phpinfo.php file in your account shows all the relevant information regarding session variables and settings and you can see for yourself that sessions are enabled and accessible via your current PHP utilization: https://www.[YOUR WEBSITE].co.uk/phpinfo.php

Most likely your WordPress or plugin is attempting to save sessions in an invalid location, but as there are no actual server logs referencing this issue we are left to conjecture.

If you would like to have us investigate this matter further we would need the full steps to replicate this error from our side, along with any needed login credentials, but speaking frankly this has the appearance of a plugin misconfiguration. You would probably be best served reaching out to the developer. I also want to note that your account is fully capable of declaring its own php.ini to adapt the server settings (such as session file paths), so there is nothing preventing your team from modifying the php configuration for the account to meet your plugins needs. But to answer what specifically those needs are, you will probably need to contact the plugin developer.

So I'm really not sure what to do now.

My Invision installation is actually located in a deeper folder, https://www.[YOUR WEBSITE].co.uk/archives/board/ - I don't know if that has anything to do with it but any help would be really appreciated - currently I have a website that is inaccessible and I am stuck!

Could contain: Page, Text

Thank you all very much in advance for any help 🙂

Neuro

Edited by Neuro

• Solution

Looking at your licensed URL, you have a few folders between where they put the php info test and where your community is actually living. Would ensure you don't have another PHP configuration running there which does not have PHP session configured correctly. Ultimately, I would have them also ensure the location for PHP sessions is writable/readable by PHP/your web server account. 

As this is a PHP setting, we would not define this.

• 3 weeks later...