manual upgrade questions

My server setup doesn't allow FTP, so I have to manually download the new version of the software.  The doc says "upload the file", but it  doesn't say where to upload it.  I have tried putting it in the root directory of the website- but it says "there are no applications to upgrade".

Exactly what is it looking for when it makes this test?  I have put "Invision Community.zip" in the root directory, and also tried unzipping the file, resulting in a folder ips_05470.

Question 1: After downloading the update file, where should I put it?

Question 2: What does the webroot look like when it has an update ready to execute?

You would extract the zip and upload the contents of the “ips_****” folder to your server where our software is installed on your server. I’m afraid, we cannot tell you where you installed our software on your server. You would want to ask your server administrator. 

19 hours ago, falcon7 said:

Question 2: What does the webroot look like when it has an update ready to execute?

The webroot is when your forum has been installed inside the /public_html/ or /www/ directory and not in another folder or subdomain. 

Which means that your forum is accessible via the following url: www.yourforumurl.com

19 hours ago, falcon7 said:

I have tried putting it in the root directory of the website- but it says "there are no applications to upgrade".

Most likely you have not uploaded the files correctly. You should upload and overwrite your forum folders with those from the Ipb package keeping the structure intact. 

3 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

The webroot is when your forum has been installed inside the /public_html/ or /www/ directory and not in another folder or subdomain. 

Which means that your forum is accessible via the following url: www.yourforumurl.com

Keep in mind this is best practice for most web servers, however, if you have a more customized setup, that could be different. Always best to ask your hosting provider if you do not know.