Add another smf forum - Import, convert, merge

NAX

Hi folks
I still have a smf forum on another url (url X)  that we now want to add to an existing IPS-forum (on url Z).
When trying to convert this forum from external url, I cannot get it to accept the data provided: The details provided are not correct or the database is unavailable.

So how to do this operation....

Can I backup my urlX database and build/add new database on urlZ, THEN convert and add threads to my existing forum?

Hi and thanks for info

The smf forum i want to move and merge is located on another server and another domain.

I did an "Export" yesterday tat gave me a .sql file of the external database. I then made a new database and imported the .sql to the new server, but as the name of the database was different and I was not allowed to rename it after import, I did not get access to it.

It's kinda hard to describe and cudos to those who can follow my explanation :D

I will try to get my host/provider to rename the database to the original name to see if I can get the converter to access it now that it is in fact stored on the same server as the IPS-forum resides on.

2 hours ago, NAX said:

I did an "Export" yesterday tat gave me a .sql file of the external database. I then made a new database and imported the .sql to the new server, but as the name of the database was different and I was not allowed to rename it after import, I did not get access to it.

As it happens I am very familiar with Smf. The best way to go about it imo is to install a smf forum at the same server of your Ipb forum. Make sure to install the same version of the Smf that you have running.

You can use the same database as that of the Ipb forum. Or if you want to use another database, make sure to use the same database user of the Ipb forum for the smf forum 's database. Or if you create a new database user, make sure that both database users have full permissions/access to each other 's database.

But it is best to install it at your Ipb forum 's database. 

Next step is to make a backup of your Smf forum 's database at the other host, and then restore it at the database of your Smf forum in the other host, where the Ipb forum is also installed at.

After that download the repair_settings.php file from the Smf Tool''s section and run it to straighten out all paths and urls to point to the new location.

Then you are ready to convert it to the Ipb. Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Been hung up with work lately, so havent had a chance to follow up, but thanks a LOT for this solution regarding installing a new forum etc.

I will have a few aganda-less evenings next week and will try to follow Miss Bs steps. It sounds like a plausable solution.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully makt the post as "Solution"