Upgrade to 4.7.12 doesn't start because of missing profile field

Hello,

we wanted to upgrade to 4.7.12 today, however the database check found a problem before.

Apparently it is because the profile field with ID 1 is no longer present.

FYI. We recently removed that very profile field because it contained information about AIM that no one uses today anyway. Likewise, we removed some other old profile fields that no one needs anymore. Our instance originally came from a vB import.

How to do the upgrade now?

1 hour ago, Apfelstrudel said:

Hello,

we wanted to upgrade to 4.7.12 today, however the database check found a problem before.

Apparently it is because the profile field with ID 1 is no longer present.

FYI. We recently removed that very profile field because it contained information about AIM that no one uses today anyway. Likewise, we removed some other old profile fields that no one needs anymore. Our instance originally came from a vB import.

How to do the upgrade now?

How were these fields removed at the time, and exactly what message are you getting?

The profile fields were removed normally via the backend a couple of weeks ago.

The upgrade process brings the following error message in step 1: "There are some problems with your database which need to be fixed before you can start the upgrade".

Then when I go to "Get Support" in the backend and look at the database error, it brings me the following suggestion:

"ALTER TABLE 'ips_core_pfields_content' ADD COLUMN 'field_1' MEDIUMTEXT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci NULL;"

Why should I add profile field #1 again when I don't need it anymore?

And even if I would run this query, what about the pfields data table that also contains info about the profile fields? Wouldn't that cause other problems?

I heard from another forum owner that this could happen because the profile field #1 is defined in install.sql.

I didn't see any warning during the profile fields deletion process that we are not allowed to delete field #1 😉.

Does this mean you are aware of this problem and will fix it?

Because I also do not understand what you can not understand about my post. The upgrader could not start because this profile field is missing.

Sorry to be a bit direct, but if you, dear Marc, would at least occasionally make the effort to look into the backend, some question loops could be avoided and some questions would not even arise.

This is only a small excerpt from the experiences I was allowed to make in the last 5 years 😉.

Edited by Apfelstrudel

54 minutes ago, Apfelstrudel said:

Does this mean you are aware of this problem and will fix it?

Yes

54 minutes ago, Apfelstrudel said:

Because I also do not understand what you can not understand about my post. The upgrader could not start because this profile field is missing.

Sorry to be a bit direct, but if you, dear Marc, would at least occasionally make the effort to look into the backend, some question loops could be avoided and some questions would not even arise.

We would not generally go ahead and start an upgrade on someones site. While I understand you are unsure as to why there was a question there, this doenst mean the question wasnt valid.

You asked how to upgrade, I asked what message you were getting. You stated it was giving you a message to add a field you dont believe it should be asking you, and I asked if it was causing an issue when you click to add that field (ie, can you continue). I believe these are quite reasonable questions.

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would not generally go ahead and start an upgrade on someones site. While I understand you are unsure as to why there was a question there, this doenst mean the question wasnt valid.

Where did I say I expected you to start the upgrade? 😉 I just mentioned that it would make some discussions easier if you looked at the problem in the backend right away.

Anyway, thanks for your information about the open bug report. We will wait to upgrade until the bug is fixed. 🙂 

Just one last question. Will this bug then be fixed in a future version or will the current build be changed? So do we have to skip the 4.7.12 upgrade then?

Thanks in advance for a short answer.

Edited by Apfelstrudel

Hello Marc,

thanks for your help. I already got an email from support.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:37 PM, Apfelstrudel said:

Then when I go to "Get Support" in the backend and look at the database error, it brings me the following suggestion:

So it was not necessary to start the upgrader.