ERROR 500 is disabling my website recently

annedi
Go to solution Solved by annedi,

We are getting "ERROR 500 - Internal Server Error" to the point of disabling my website.

Where can I find a list of requirements for PHP, SQL, etc? I need to check that the correct versions are running (via cPanel). Currently I cannot access my Admin page.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, annedi said:

We are getting "ERROR 500 - Internal Server Error" to the point of disabling my website.

Where can I find a list of requirements for PHP, SQL, etc? I need to check that the correct versions are running (via cPanel). Currently I cannot access my Admin page.

Thanks.

Here you go:

What was the latest change/modification done to the forum before the error happened? Are there any errors logged in at the Server Error log page?

I made the most recent upgrade to the software. HOWEVER, the Error 500 was happening both before and after that.

Thank you for the req checker. I'll go run that.

well, my bad, but how do you run ips4.php after uploading it to cPanel?

(feeling stoopid)

The System Log shows repeated "upload failure". But I'm not sure this is relevant to the Error 500 problem. There are no messages in the Error Log. (Both logs acccessed via Admin. I finally got in.)

Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by annedi

10 minutes ago, annedi said:

After clicking the Error 500 page about 10 times, the website eventually comes thru - but it is incomplete. Here is one example. See the blue question marks on the Topics list.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person

You would need to contact your hosting provider for what the 500 Internal Server Error is that you're seeing. If it's coming and going, it may be related to the database or other service.

The question mark there is a missing image, you would need to contact your hosting provider as to why the image is missing.

Just now, annedi said:

Should this Cron Job command have an "81" instead of an "80" ?Could contain: Text

If your server updates the folders correspondingly, yes. You can confirm with your hosting provider. Only they would be able to answer that completely.

You can get the system's recommendation in ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration but that would not be taking down your community.

1 minute ago, annedi said:

The "latest web server error log messages" all seem to be attempts to hack by accessing wp_login through our public_html. Of course there is NO wp_login in our public_html.

Please ensure you’re accessing the error logs on your server. Not in our software. 

4 minutes ago, annedi said:

Upon getting the ERROR 500 (after attempting to access our Announcements board), I ran Show Page Source and got that there was some problem loading /content/index.php. 

Could contain: Page, Text

The answer would still be the same. You need to contact your hosting provider to obtain the web server error logs for that error. Till you have those, you will not know the issue.

I got the results of a Trouble Ticket filed with my hosting service regarding the ERROR 500 which is disabling my website. It is caused by a Quality of Service error due to too many concurrent requests. On my shared server the maximum allowed is 100 concurrently, but the forum software is requesting more than that.

Here is an excerpt from the server error log showing 2 examples of concurrent requests numbering 105 and 106 made from index.php.

[Sat Jul 15 06:56:13.054213 2023] [qos:error] [pid 173667:tid 22512630933248] [remote 54.255.218.46:58140] mod_qos(010): access denied, QS_LocRequestLimit* rule: /(100), concurrent requests=105, c=54.255.218.46, id=ZLKJXS-EETlGrz_pPZk42QABFCI, referer: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/discover/&csrfKey=4689f70423451df5ff372dd54fe798a3&view=condensed
[Sat Jul 15 06:56:13.054659 2023] [qos:error] [pid 173667:tid 22512768366336] [remote 54.255.218.46:58140] mod_qos(010): access denied, QS_LocRequestLimit* rule: /(100), concurrent requests=106, c=54.255.218.46, id=ZLKJXS-EETlGrz_pPZk42gABFAE, referer: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/discover/&csrfKey=4689f70423451df5ff372dd54fe798a3&view=condensed

How/Where do I reset the forum software to prevent this?