Change "Maximum lines of text in signature" to "max number of characters"

Hi,

This is an old issue for us. We can limit signatures only by number of lines, but this is insufficient for us, as some users are abusing this and posting really long lines, so their signatures are huge.

It would make more send for us to limit the number of characters, not lines.

Another suggestion for signatures would be that links to contents such as topics wouldn't be converted to their "embedded" version, but kept a normal URL link. Currently we use a custom plugin to fix this, and it would be nice if this was a core feature.

Thanks.

2 questions that come to my mind:

If you just limit the amount of characters a user is allowed to post, what is someone posts 1-2 characters per line and thus creates a huge signature area below every post?

What about images in signatures? I guess if someone wants to post a small image, but links to the graphic, the link can be a very long URL, which would probably exceed a set character limit while the small image itself would be perfectly fine in the signature.

6 hours ago, MMXII said:

If you just limit the amount of characters a user is allowed to post, what is someone posts 1-2 characters per line and thus creates a huge signature area below every post?

Just keep both options, then! Max number of lines AND max number of chars.

6 hours ago, MMXII said:

What about images in signatures?

We have this disabled here.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:15 PM, Gabriel Torres said:

We have this disabled here.

I think what MMXII is saying is that, if you have it set so images don’t display and links don’t convert to embedded content, the URLs they post will contribute towards the character limit you want to set. Meaning that if a user wants to post a long link or something, they’ve potentially run out of half their character allotment.