Upgrade 4.6.12.1 => 4.7.3 => 4.7.11.1 : If this is the "best way" for my scenario: 4.7.3 please!

Hello,

Self hosted.

Normally I would keep our website relatively up to date but in this case we got stuck at 4.6.12.1 because one of our other critical bits of software (FileRun) did not support PHP8/PHP8.1.

I would like to be able to upgrade Invision and FileRun separately so that I don't end up with failed upgrades in both components at the same time. I am now in the situation where:

• My current Invision (4.6.12.1) does not work on PHP8.1 (I tried it and the Calendar died)
  • The latest Invision (4.7.11.1) does not work on PHP7.4 (running on my system)
  • My current FileRun does not work on PHP8.1
  • The latest FileRun does not work on PHP7.4

My thought is that upgrading Invision to 4.7.3 would give me an intermediate point which could run either PHP7.4 or PHP8.1 and would allow me to switch the PHP version back and forth while I sort out the FileRun issues. (Once FileRun has been upgraded and is operating OK then I would upgrade Invision to the latest, anyway...)

If there is a better way to address this topic then I'd be interested to hear about it.

If this is the best way then please may I have Invision 4.7.3 so that I may upgrade to that intermediate point?

Thanks very much.

John

Unfortunately, we do not provide older versions of the platform for download, so your only option at present is to upgrade to the latest release of the platform unless of course you already have the files to upgrade to from an earlier release. Upgrading to an earlier release however can have downfalls even in that scenario, in that if you have an issue, you would not be supported (you would be asked to use the latest release), you would be using a version with known bugs, and more importantly, you would be upgrading to a version which has known security issues that have been resolved in later releases

32 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

your only option at present is to upgrade to the latest release of the platform

Marc,

Thanks. As Invision 4.6.12.1 does not work with PHP 8.1 I am presuming that AdminCP would not work on that version so I cannot do an automatic upgrade. Correct?

Does that mean that I have to do a "manual upgrade" following this outline:

1. Maintenance mode
  2. Backup files + DB
  3. Switch to PHP 8.1 (current Invision installation no longer works at this point)
  4. Manual upgrade to latest Invision
  5. Normal mode

Or, in full, to include FileRun in the sequence:

1. Maintenance mode (both FileRun and Invision)
  2. Backups (both FileRun and Invision)
  3. Upgrade FileRun to latest (this includes the step to switch to PHP 8.1)
  4. Manual upgrade Invision to latest version
  5. Normal mode (both FileRun and Invision)

Thanks.

John