Messaging System - Invite a Member

Go to solution Solved by Charles,

I see that subsequently invited members gain access to previous comments within the conversation. And, unless I am mistaken, there is no way to prevent anyone who is part of the conversation from inviting others to join in.

Am I missing something here? I'd hope there is way to prevent this behavior.

Thanks.

Hmm. The solution seems a bit limiting. I am more used to SMF - but its system has its own problems. But I also use XenForo - I see with their system, the OP can prevent others from inviting additional participants; this would see sensible behavior. Else, what was once a private conversation could become a full-blown spectacle because of one nefarious actor. Ours is probably a more sensitive topic than most for a support forums, but I think the potential issue here is universal.

I will have to do as you suggest and limit it to two participants if I go ahead with IPS.

Thanks.

There is of course the argument here that any nefarious actor could easily copy out the contents to any area they wish, screenshot etc, and share with anywhere they like. I understand what you are trying to achieve there, and I Believe limiting the number of people in private messages would indeed be the answer here.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the input. Yes, content can be copied, screen shots taken, but that takes more effort and there is always a level of plausible deniability (that the content was faked). That's not case if others can view the original content for themselves. Further, for the person who nefariously invites in someone to the conversation they should not, they can plausibility claim no nefarious intention.

Yes, I can limit conversations to just two members, but that's a rather restrictive thing to do. I do not believe I have come across another messaging system which behaves this way. Or maybe I don't get out enough.

Does anyone know of an add-on or code to change this behaviour? I suppose the simplest thing to do would be to disable the ability to add in others to an existing conversation.

Edited by Como